FIVE

A projection of a smiling man appears. He looks so happy. Tony looks down at the projection like he's surprised to see it.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." No. No. No. Tears slipped down my face. I take a deep breath in an attempt to control my power. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." No one is moving, let alone breathing. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve angrily says. Tony waves his hand and takes a sip of his coffee.

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony looks straight at me. "We're not."

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames."

"I'm sorry. Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA," Rhodey argues.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing." Tony Stark is as arrogant as always, but he might have changed just enough. He sees what he did was wrong and he owns it. I never would have expected that from him.

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own," Steve counters his voice shaking slightly from anger.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty," Tony says, not bothering to raise his voice.

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda whispers. I jump to my feet. At the same time Vision speaks.

"We would protect you," Vision says.

"That was not your fault, Wanda! I- I saw it happen! I should have stopped everything..." my voice falters slightly. I struggle to hold my power in place.

"Nothing will happen if we just sign the damn papers!" Tony yells out. "I fought for this! All will be forgiven if we sign!" My breath hitches at that. All will be forgiven, everything. All the lives lost because of me are forgiven. All that's necessary is my signature. It seems too good to be true... But it is, apparently.

"Maybe Tony's right," Natasha says softly. Tony looks at her in surprise. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-"

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks, scoffing.

"I'm just... I'm reading the terrain. We have made... some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back," Natasha reasons.

"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony asks, a small smile on his face.

"Oh, I want to take it back now."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented." He looks at everyone else. "It's time to choose." Steve hesitates before speaking.

"I'm sorry Tony, but you know where I stand." He stands and walks to the other side of the room. Sam follows suit. Rhodey, Natasha, and Vision don't move. Wanda hangs her head but does not stand. She can't risk it. A curtain of hair blocks her face from view. I stay standing in the middle, unsure of what to do. Tony and Steve both look at me.

"I get a choice?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Of course," Steve answers. He reaches a hand out for me to grab, all I have to do is take a few steps towards him. I take a step before stopping and looking back towards Tony. He shrugs.

I have a choice, a big one.

The Sokovian Accords are by no means perfect. But they will allow us to continue helping people. I want to help people. I need to make up for my past actions. So does Tony. As much as I dislike him, he sees things the same way. It's an uphill battle for us. I nearly lost myself in the guilt I felt, I can't imagine how he feels.

I need to continue fighting. I need to make up for the past. But that's just me. What about the team as a whole? Will they even be able to help people if they sign? The documents stated that the UN would dispatch them, but what if they never do? All the potential the Avengers have, wasted.

"How do you know the UN will use the Avengers? What if they are never put into use?" I ask Tony. He looks surprised I seem to be considering it.

"Amendments will be made after all the countries sign." I nod slowly. Steve realizes what I am going to do before anyone else does.

"Angel..." He says softly, dropping his hand. I look to him and see as sadness fills his face. I can't look at him any longer to see the disappointment I know he feels.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

I take a deep breath and step towards Tony.