TWENTY THREE

Angel's POV

Everything is so soft and warm. I sink into the soft blanket wrapped around me.

Soft? Warm? Blanket? That soesn't sound like Hydra.

I sit up suddenly and call to my power to protect me. A weak silver energy spreads across the room and surrounds me in a small sphere of power. I frown as I watch the silver flicker slightly. Where am I? I look around the room and see monitors attached to me as well as a tube in my arm. I use my power to rip them off and out of me. Alarms start blaring in my room and I tighten the shield around me.

Doctors, nurses and... Tony rush into the room. Panic fills Tony's face but it fades into relief when he sees I am awake. He walks slowly towards me and holds an arm out.

"Angel... it's me, Tony. Can you put your power away?" He asks gently. I nod and pull the power into me.

"W-" I cough. My throat is super dry. A nurse walks slowly towards a water pitcher by the window and gets me a glass. Tony scowls at her slightly. I wonder why. The woman carefully hands me the cup and a drink it all. "Th-thank you," I say slowly. She retreats back towards the doorway quickly and exits with everyone else. "What happened?" I ask. Tony looks conflicted as he walks towards my bedside and sits on the edge of the bed.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"I feel fine. Why? What-" Memories of being in Hydra flood my mind. "No- No! Hydra... they, they..." I struggle to breath.

"Take a deep breath, Angel. You're ok. You are safe now." It takes a few minutes but I get my breathing under control. "What do you remember?" Tony asks slowly.

"You were going to shoot me," I whisper. "Then Wanda put me to sleep and I-" tears fall from my face. "I woke up at Hydra." Tony looks at me for awhile before saying anything.

"What do you remember before I was... what do you remember before that?" I think hard.

"Natasha and I went to the UN building... It was bombed and I-I stopped the building from collapsin so everyone could escape. Natasha, she came back to get me but," I pause. "I couldn't hold the building any longer. I sent Natasha out the window with my power and I protected her. I can't remember- no." Panic fills me.

"You're ok. You're safe," Tony encourages me.

"It was dark. I couldn't move. There was blood, lots of it. It filled my mouth and I couldn't breath..." Tears stream down my face and Tony's. "I died," I whisper.

"Yes."

"It was dark. I didn't like it. So I left. Then, you were going to shoot me?" It doesn't make sense.

"When you came back, you were confused. You thought you were still apart of Hydra. You attacked reporters then came to Berlin where you attacked everyone."

"Oh god. No... What did I do?"

"You stopped Steve and Barnes' plane and everyone else from moving. Wanda tried to help you... but you figured out she was lying to you and you attacked her."

"Did I hurt her?" I don't think I want an answer.

"You nearly killed her but Clint, Vision, and I managed to stop you with the help of some other dude. Then Wanda sent you to sleep. Secretary Ross took you to a safe place so you could be evaluated and he promised I would get you soon. But he lied. He took you to a black ops site and they experimented on you." Tony looks devstated. "When I realized Ross would keep dragging this on, I had FRIDAY track you down. I took you to the compound and brough a few doctors to make sure you were ok. They all said you just needed rest. But you took a turn for the worse. You got a fever and had to be rushed here. You've been out for over a week. I'm so sorry I didn't get to you sooner. This never should have happened."

"So I wasn't ever at Hydra?" I'm stil a little confused.

"No. Again, I can't express how sorry I am, kid," Tony looks so sad. I give him a little hug.

"Look at that, Tony Stark apologizing twice in one day," I say with a smile. Tony pulls away and looks at me. His face breaks into a huge smile. "How's your life looking now?" I ask him, referring to or previous conversation before Ieft for Vienna.

"It's looking up, kid." I smirk.

The doctors and Tony refuse to let me leave the hospital until they are sure I am ok. My power is still weak but Tony said we can run tests when we get to the compound. I've been here a week now and only Tony and Nancy have visited me. Everyone else must be at the compound... Where else could they be? I'm surprised Steve hasn't visited, though. He must still be angry with me. I understand, I betrayed him.

"Are you ready, sweetie?" Nancy asks me from the doorway, interrupting my thoughts. I jump up from the bed and dart out the door. Nancy laughs. She leads me to the elevator where a helicopter awaits us. Tony smiles as he stands in front of it. His hair is messy from the wind from the blades. He gestures to the door and I climb in. Tony helps Nancy enter and we fly to the compound. He gives me a small smile.

We land at the compound 20 minutes later and I smile at the building. This is my home. I rush into the building and look around for everyone. The place is dead. I weakly release my power and search the building for life. There's nothing. I turn and face Tony, he looks sad.

"Where is everyone?" I ask.

"Steve, Sam, Barnes, Wanda and Natasha are on the run. They violated the Accords and Ross is looking to make an example out of them. Clint and another guy were put on house arrest. Vision is off the radar and Rhodey is... recovering."

"Recovering?"

"He feel from the sky and broke his back. He's doing good now."

"So no one is here..." No one came to see me. The building feels so empty. Tony rubs the back of his head.

"I'm sure they wanted to be, they just can't." I nod slowly.

"I'm kind of tired so I'm going to lay down," I tell Tony softly. He nods sadly. Nancy gives me a sad smile. I just walk to my room.

I thought my home was this building but I was wrong. My home was the people in it.