7.

A/n: I swear if I could cuddle with Sugawara listening to this song on a rainy day I would never leave my bed 😭
*************************

Sugawara was a very patient teacher. He had a bunch of children to deal with every day, so I was not surprised. We spent almost an hour to do a plate of onigiris mostly because of me. I tried to make them look nice and round, but the rice just didn't cooperate.

With a little help, I managed to do nine beautifully shaped onigiris with vegetables and meat. Now it was finally time to eat them, so we sat comfortably on a sofa with my laptop in front of us. I searched for a movie we could watch, but before I did, my phone rang.

I looked at the screen. It was Kaori.

"Hello sister." I said as soon as I answered her call.

"Miyu, what did you buy for a father?" She was probably at the shop, because I could hear a lot of people talking and calm music from a distance.

"What?" I was confused. Was I supposed to buy anything?

There was a sigh on the other line. "His birthday. What did you buy?" I could hear the irritation in her voice.

"Yeah, I know that he has a birthday. But he didn't say a word to me for some time, so I thought I was not invited." I know it's harsh, but my parents didn't really worry about me being there on different occasions like anniversaries or birthdays. I was like a black sheep in our perfect family, so every time I arrived my parents would just ask me some questions about my job. Then I would snap at some point, say something stupid and end up crying on my way home. No thanks, but I don't want that again. "Anyway, I'm not coming. But you can deliver a gift from me if you want."

Sugawara tried to look like he didn't listen, but I saw that he suddenly became a little bit sad.

"Are you kidding? Mom asked me today if you are coming with your new boyfriend. She didn't say it in a mocking or mean way, so she probably liked him."

Wait, my mom asked about Sugawara?

"Can I call you later?" I asked and, unusually for me, hung up without another word.

"Did something happen?" A quiet voice from my left almost made me jump. Sugawara was looking at me, probably trying to read anything from my face.

I sighed quietly, trying to collect my thoughts. How to start this conversation?

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just worried, because you were really sad when you were talking to your sister." His eyes were gentle and sincere. How can I not tell him everything when he is looking at me like that?

"Well, it's my father's birthday in three days. He usually looks so happy during his birthday, but when he looks at me it's a completely different story. I'm mocked about my job or simply ignored during every family meeting, so two years ago I decided not to come. I called to wish him happy birthday, but he didn't even answer my call. I tried for a whole day and he didn't call back, so last year I didn't do that again. My family didn't contact me and I was just left alone in contrast to my siblings, who always got all the attention they needed. They occasionally talk to me when I see them, like few days ago, but you saw for yourself that it's still about me not doing what they want. And now Kaori told me that my mother asked if I want to come... with you." I was embarrassed. At this moment I realized that we didn't even talk about us. My mom asked about my 'boyfriend', but I didn't know if Sugawara wants to be with me or if it's just for a moment.

"Me?" He was even more surprised than before and I couldn't blame him. He met my mother once and talked with her for less than an hour, but she still wanted him there. She probably would be happy if he came without me, but I didn't say that.