1.The Priest

"Vae kur cig Nominai!, " shouted a Tengu as he led his fellow soldiers into a valiant charge against an approaching line of human infantrymen who were accompanied by a pair of armoured vehicles.

One of the human soldiers saw the incoming horde of elven faced aliens and without hesitation opened fire at them.
His comrades joined him as soon as the shots were fired. The tanks rumbled to a halt and swiveled their turrets to face the oncoming wave of flesh and steel.

This battle took place a few kilometres  away from a hamlet whose residents were huddled inside it's church.

A priest assisted by a two volunteers went around to comfort the children and to calm the panicked and fearful crowd.

"Father Paul, is this the Armageddon ?, " asked a young woman to the priest who was tending to a wounded elderly man whose arm had sustained severe burns from a explosion caused by a bomb that had been fired by the Tengu at their hamlet.

He remained silent for a while until a quick flash from a distant explosion brought him back and in quiet voice answered, "I'm afraid that it is indeed the day of final confrontation."

A tank then rumbled past the church and halted a few metres right from its doorway before the sounds of boots hitting the ground could be heard heading towards them.

"Finally, we're saved!, " exclaimed one of the people who had sought refuge within the church.

The doors opened and soldiers cautiously stepped inside to signal them to go out of the building and head east on foot towards the town of Hidelburg  where an evacuation was taking place since their hamlet was too close to the front line.

But that's too far and there are children and elderly among us," said Father Paul to the soldier. 

Lucky played its hand when the commanding officer entered the church and excused the soldier. 

"I overheard what you said, Father but there's currently a shortage of transport vehicles and believe me when I say that the military has resorted to using horses and mules for most their transportation needs, " said the officer while taking a peek over the middle aged priest's shoulder. 

"I see, but could you at least drop us quarter way with that hulking war machine?, " Paul replied referring to the tank outside. 

The officer thought for a while and came to a decision. 

"Farthest I'm willing to allow is a kilometer, no more no less"

It was better than walking the whole twenty kilometers to Hidelburg. 

Climbing onto the tank, the group were driven exactly a kilometer away from their hamlet before they were told to get off. 

Night was about to fall and they decided it was best to set up a makeshift camp in the nearby forest. 

But, this would not be a peaceful night because when the sun went down, thunderous sounds of battle tore through the silence. 

The campfire crackled with comforting luminosity and the children sat around it to listen to a story that had been recorded on the priest's phone. 

"Can anyone guess the name of the story ?, " asked Paul 

"Is it about the Garden of Eden?, " answered one of the children raising their hand. 

"Almost correct, Wilno"

"Oh oh, me! Me!, " an enthusiastic lass said as she jumped up and down. 

"Yes, Violet?"

"Story of Creation!, " she answered with a big bright smile before sitting back down.