For Heart and Home (i)

'Throw your men into positions once there is no escape and they will prefer death to flight'
========================================================================

This couldn't have been more truer for a regiment of reservists who had been tasked with defending an evacuation effort from the city of Pyiskova which is situated in the state of Osterleek  on the eastern fringes of Vistulionir ; right in the path of an advancing Tengu army.

Assistant Commandant Alexos Treskowiek , second-in-command, V(Fifth) Reservist Corp, gave stern orders to mount a defense to the last man if need be. Stating that they were the city's sentinels chosen to watch over the defenceless.

The lead commandant had been shot by a Tengu sniper some days prior to the evacuation while leading a detachment on an reconnaissance mission into the city's southern recreational district.

"Evacuations have been completed, Commandant, " informed the soldier standing in front of his desk.

Alexos who stood looking out an office window watched the blood red horizon and shapes of enemy air vessels edging ever closer.

Wearing his cap and pinning on his rank badge, he slung his service rifle over his shoulder and looked at the young lad.

"Good. And the troops ?," he asked after downing a glass of whiskey.

Clearing his throat, the young soldier answered with confidence, "They've have  already taken up positions along the tunnel entrance."

"How old are you, son ?"

"I think 19."

"Name ?"

"Yorkosly Klingetzvar. Or Yorl because everyone here seems to call me by that name which is weird because I don't recall having Aeuric ancestry."

Putting his hand on Yorkosly's shoulder, Alex as softly as his gruff voice allowed him told the fresh faced chap, "Haha, Yorl it is then. Going to be a rough day soon because we need to hold back the enemy advance for as long as possible...even if it means making a last stand."

"You're joking right, Commandant ?," replied Yorkosly in disbelief and denial at the seemingly impossible task assigned to them; a bunch of part-timers who were mostly office workers and college students.

"I very much wish that it were the case but don't worry, there's a plan and it will help us all get through this. ," said Alexos, "Dismissed."

Saluting the Assistant Commandant, Yorkosly left to join his unit.

After the young soldier had, he took another sip from the glass of whiskey while brooding over the loss of his friend and brother-in-arms who was also the Lead Commandant of the regiment.

"Damn it, Breyczkozy. ," cursed Alex at the deceased lead commandant despite knowing that he was crying over spilt milk,"How am I supposed to fucking lead them ?!"

In a fit of anger he threw his drinking glass at the wall and flung the whiskey bottle out the window, silently cursing himself before coming to terms with reality.

Then, he sat down and pulled up the holographic map screen from his wrist mounted Situational Awareness Device.

Outside the building, his troops had already assembled and were waiting for him with growing restlessness.

Rushing outside, he composed himself upon standing in front of his troops all of whom looked towards him.

"First and Second Battalion prepare to head for the southern recreational district. 3rd and 4th will flank from the red light district while the rest, 5th to 8th will strike from the north through the residential zone. ," announced Alexos about the plan of action, "Head out as soon as possible, lives are depending on us. Dismissed."