2. Truth and Lies

Body guards equipped with military grade body armour and gear escorted a rugged face man towards a podium.

The man being escorted was Osewyic Slogadir or Old Man Osy, the Republic of Vestulionir's President, answering the homelands call.

This rugged person, black hair with a beard that could make even a god envious, straightened his tie as the bodyguards parted for him at the base of the podiums steps.

Reporters from all around the nation flocked around the podium only to be pushed back a couple of feet by the heavily armed security personnel.

"This is going to be a long day, " said the leader sighing upon seeing the restless masses in front of him.

Tapping his microphone, an uncomfortable screech sounded which brought the crowd under control.

"People of our glorious state, by now we are all aware of the great threat which landed upon our beloved soil. , " he proceeded with his speech, " They call themselves 'The Tengu', and claim their ancestry from Cain's younger brother.
Revenge is their motive. For what you ask? Well, isn't it obvious? They want revenge for their ancestor Able."

The crowd was silent, they didn't understand why or how these otherworldly beings were related to Able.

Perhaps they were his creation? Offspring? It was another mystery.

"Mister President!, " called a reporter to the leader till she got noticed.

"Yes, young lady?, " He answered

"What course of action is the government planning to enact?"

"We've already sent out evacuation battalions to help vacate settlements too close to the frontline and so far we've managed to evacuate roughly a hundred million. "

"Are our weapons effective against the Tengu menace?," she asked again.

Snapping his finger he signalled for Svilow, Commander of the Eastern Army Theatre, who promptly presented himself from among the officials who were seated at the front.

Turning to face the crowd of reporters, he coughed to clear his throat and brought the microphone closer.

"Rest assured, they are very effective. The enemy seems to employ very outdated tactics like phalanx formations and mass-infantry charges. , " he answered which seemed to please the reporter as she thanked him and sat down.

Stepping back from the podium, the General whispered to the President, "They're adapting to our weapons. We must fast track Project Heracles."

Placing his hand on the Generals shoulder, "How far have they penetrated ?"

"I'll send you the document. Focus on boosting morale for now, Osy."

With a subtle nod from both persons, the President went back to face the crowd and to appease their hunger for information with partly fabricated truths.

"Mister Osewyic, we have reports that the entire 7th and 2nd Combined Arms Battalions were wiped out while assisting in evacuations and attempting to push back. What do you have to say?, " asked a curious reporter.

"They died for home and heartland without little regret because you see, unlike us who sit in our homes writing about this current situation and getting angry or frustrated over the outcome without even lifting a finger, those lads stood their ground and did what they could to save what can be saved. In the end, they achieved their goal by saving a hundred thousand in all from certain death. God bless their souls and guide them to paradise."

The reporter sat down having been satisfied and brought out his camera after noting down Osy's words.

Question after question fired away like a salvo and he answered them all with confidence and charisma.

"If that's all, then I wish you all a good evening, " he said turning his to step down from stage where his body guards notified each other to assemble and be ready to guard the president.

After he had been escorted back to his vehicle which was an armoured black Volkswagen Vento which some called unusual because it was too cheap for a Presidential vehicle while others saw the genius since it could blend in heavy traffic in country where it was the most popular vehicle.

It was popular for a reason, fifty years ago Osy's predecessor was assassinated and after investigations were carried out, it was discovered that the perpetrators were able to instantly recognise his vehicle and the decoys and simply used overwhelming firepower on all of them.

"Home? Mister Osy?, " asked the driver after the President sat inside the car.

"Yes, Samir. Only thing I fear more than being assassinated is missing out on the missus' home made Pork broth. Hehe," chuckled Osy.

"All vehicles, formation Gecko. We're rolling out to camp on Valkro Hill range, " notified his driver through the inbuilt comms.

Rolling out to Valko Hill range meant the same as going home since that range was where the first city of Vestulionir had been founded.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Alps, a lone helicopter flew through a rough blizzard.

Its destination was a bunker, tucked away deep within the mountains.

"Blue Bird to Control, requesting permission to land. Code is 1096. Over. ," said the pilot as they hovered near a cliff face.

They waited till a response came.

"Control to Blue Bird, response code 1099. Proceed to right door. Over and Out"

"Copy that Control."

Turning right, they flew towards the faint light that pierced through the blizzard.

It emanated from a giant blast door that was in the process of being opened and had been made to look like a mountainside.

"Impressive, " remarked the pilot as he guided his aircraft towards a vacant landing pad.

His passenger was an ambassador who had been given the responsibility of representing Vestulionir for a meeting between the fifty nations of Gaia.

They were going to discuss about the formation of a coalition which would not only be a militaristic but also an economic one at that.

Their host nation for the meeting was Alpsvelstadt, a mountainous nation which for most of history had been a neutral state that refused to hold such gatherings but under the current circumstances was willing to do so.

It's leader, Yarhelm Schutz, greeted the ambassadors from all gathering nations as they sat down at round table.

Security personnel wearing grey combat exo-frames stood guard at the entrance and exit doors while CCTVs watched every corner of the meeting room.

As clock struck seven, a bell rang signalling the start of their discussions.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××