Voja II : Farewell to the Old Girl

A column of three trucks emblazoned with the symbol of a red crescent moon escorted by a pair of infantry vehicles and a tank speed through a desolate road ; abandoned civilian vehicles lining it on either side under an early winter snow.

The armoured vehicle leading this convoy was Rasnik 112 otherwise known as Voja had been reassigned from Company Rake of the Armoured Guards Brigade, a week after retaking Mojkodej along with securing Hidelburg's flank and the road connecting them both had been concluded.

"Only a few more kilometres left till we can get some hot soup and pierogi, lads." chirped Captain Tarvej keeping the topographical map aside.

"Women too right, Captain ?" said the gunner who was quickly responded to by their driver, Josef , who said "Heh. In your dreams Konja."

Second Lieutenant Konja Viemicca creeping his hand behind Lieutenant Josef Broswicka's bald head who was keeping an eye on the road and the other on a small screen attached to a mount beside his seat displaying Voja's component status.

With a swift slap on the driver's clean shaven head, "Atleast women won't be blinded when they look at my head." he quipped with a smug expression on his face.

"Why do I always have to be the mature one ?" thought Captain Tarvej burying his face embarrassed at the sight of two grown men playfully mocking and punching the other.

Sighing, Tarvej then refocuses his attention back on their surroundings ; looking through and rotating  periscope while also inspecting objects of interest like a cluster of trees or empty houses situated ahead along the road side.

"Open ground. Non-existent cover. Shit, it's a recipe for disaster." comments Tarvej worryingly taking note of the flat terrain around them.

Getting on the tanks communications module he issues a cautionary warning through the convoy frequency.

"Enemy presence probable. All vehicles maintain vigilance. Only 2 kilometres till destination."

"Copy." responded the convoy.

On the way, they passed through a semi-urban neighborhood which bore the scars of a recent battle — shell casings, corpses, the lingering taint of burnt flesh mixed with the scent of gunpowder hung in the cold frosty air.

It was enough to keep the turret gunners of the infantry carrying vehicles on edge as Voja led them through the battle scarred streets littered with smoldering husks of civilian vehicles.

Upon reaching the town's ouskirts, they received a transmission from the medical aid station which was set up by the Red Crescent International Volunteers

"Convoy Mojkodej, thank goodness you've arrived. Critically injured are awaiting evacuation near the machine gun nests in front of the station."

"Affirmative, Station Kubaan. Make final patches and we'll carry the lads home." Tarvej responded, finger on the modules broadcast switch and a smile barely visible through his short facial hair.

Rumbling through the station's heavily defended gates, all of them including Voja's crew could see roughly half a platoon of wounded and injured comrades who had either been amputated or become disabled.

"Fights over for them...heh...lucky." comments Konja slightly envious that they would be discharged and either sent to work in the industries or serve as trainers for new recruits.

Tarvej heard him and slapped the gunners head," Don't be foolish. Look at them — amputated, injured and traumatised. There's nothing to be envious about that!"

He was right. There was nothing to be jealous of the men who were being loaded onto the medical evacuation trucks. One look at their faces told a thousand hours of hellish frontline combat — bolts of plasma screaming over their heads, scent of gun fumes that never goes away, and near constant nocturnal enemy raids which always boiled down to close quarter fighting.