8.Memories of a Distant Past

Three years ago...

Slipping on a dark balaclava and donning a standard issue kevlar body armour a young Karl then wore his grey service helmet equipped with integrated infrared and night vision visored face shield.

"Remember, Mr. Krohnenberg and any one associated with him are to be eliminated. " Colonel Klaus Helgen, their unit leader — the most dangerous black operations group, Unit 235 — stated , " That includes family and relatives. " adding to that statement.

The rookie of this team, a young Karl raised a hand in question but there was no need for him to speak as Klaus already knew what it was.

"Lancesoldat Karl, remember you volunteered for this post and I expect no less than total compliance."

"But Colonel what if they have children ?" he asked anyway.

"Simple. Same order goes for them." Klaus answered coldly, " We're only to act, not ask. Keep that in mind Lancesoldat."

With reluctance and a slight hint of resentment at their nationsleader monarch Karl agreed, "Understood, herr Colonel, " stepping back in line.

Queen Brunhilde Frauheine or Brunnie as her personal guards called her was one of Gaia's last monarchs and was fearful of losing power taking any measures necessary to prevent her downfall.

Unit 235 was one of many special operations teams whom Brunnie utilised for such acts and this fateful evening would see a dissident silenced.

"You chose this, Karl. See this through to the end." he told himself preparing for the mission at hand.

"Unit 235 on location. Over." informed Klaus communicating with the Operations Room.

"Command, copys. Seiberengofung has been put on cordon. Green light on mission." came the reply with a cold and almost emotionless tone.

"Roger that command. 235-Actual out."

Their target was a political revolutionary named Sthal Wolfgang — stout, neatly dressed at all times and a family man.

Approaching from Seiberengofung's east,   the five man special operations team moved through the woods which surrounded that part of town.

Soon they would find Wolfgang's hideout which was less of a mansion and more of a miniature fort sitting in the middle of a clearing with hired guns toting top notch weaponry patrolling its perimeters.

Patience was key and they waited till early dawn the next day to be rewarded with the sight of a few mercenaries doing half hearted patrols.

"Karl and Ekart, follow me. Johann and Hadric, overwatch." said Klaus assigning roles.

So following Ekhart and Klaus, the young Karl crept up behind an unsuspecting mercenary digging his knife into the hired guns chest.

"Patrol eliminated." he reported, a slight tinge of regret lingering on his voic then suppressed upon recalling why he signed on for this mission.

"Good. Overwatch cover our six. Proceeding with house sweep."

"Affirmative. Switching position for better view. Over." complied Hadric chewing a piece of nicotine gum while Johann acted as his spotter.

"Solid copy."

The mansion's wooden doors fly apart clean off their hinges through the sheer power of Ekhart's breacher shotgun shells.

In the following moments, flashes of light and muffled sounds of gunfire would escape through the open ventilation windows.

A guard or two would try and abandon their hopeless resistance, making a mad scramble for the motor pool in front of the building — a grave mistake.