9.Final Melody (Lodwy Mrzka)

The sonorous blades of a helicopter churned through the ashen air that surround Valkova as it transport the President to safety.

Vistulionir's armed forces lie defeated and her banner fluttered in its pole tattered and torn.

Osywiec watched as his city burns amidst sporadic gunfire from the chopper as it flew over a sea of fire and ashes.

"Pilot, bring me to the hills."

"Can't do that sir. Orders are to get you to the Aeur border."

"No, son. Bring me to my home."

"But sir..."

"It's okay. I've already made plans for my successor."

A short moment of silence.

"Roger. Heading to Valkova Hill."

After landing, Osy exits the helicopter and is surprised to find that his house atop Valkova Hill was now home to civilians who had fled the urban fighting.

Glancing back at the pilot, he tells them to wait as he walked through the shattered gates and past the smoldering vehicle husks.

He sees his home — that small wooden house of pine logs nestled behind a vineyard which now sheltered a small group of frightened people.

After he had approached close enough, Osywiec shouts with all his might.
"A HELICOPTER IS HERE!"

One by one they came running out and past the President who was unrecognisable because his shirt was tattered and face was covered with soot and ashes.

"Oy, aren't you also coming ?" asked a concerned individual among them.

"Yes, there's a few things I need to do first but I'll be there don't worry."

Taking steps forward along the path that ran between the vineyard, he then heard the chopper rapidly ascend and fly away into the crimson horizon.

He chuckled and resumed his way.

"You've done enough, Osy. Time to let someone else do the job." he thought soon reaching the porch of his house.

Going inside, he turned right then proceeded straight to living room where everything was a mess — torn curtains, ripped polka dotted wallpaper and discarded food boxes sitting atop an August Förster piano that sat in a corner.

The din of explosions around did little to bother the Old Man as he cleaned the instrument and lifted the lid covering the keys.

Then he did a little warm up, cracking his knuckles and joints. A sequence of keystrokes later, "Still have it. That's good."

Now, the battle that rages below the Hill had died down and he knew that the Tengu had begun combing for any remaining humans.

Taking out his phone, he begins recording a video. A final message.

"My friends and countrymen, we held back the sea but it was not enough so we struck back against the waves...
To our soldiers fighting in Mojkodej and Hidelburg, our people's hopes and wishes lie on your shoulders! To the citizens, remember the homeland is not yet lost!"

Ending one recording, he begins another for his daughter, "Nadia.What I'm going to ask of you is something larger than yourself. Ready ? Lead the people. Guide them. Be upright and firm in your judgement..." a pause after tears ran down his face then continued, "Dark days are ahead for us all. Remember stay strong for the people and yourself."

With one last bellow he shouted, "The homeland is not yet lost!"

Then setting himself down, Osywiec place his hand on the piano's keys and played a melody that floated through the ashen air where bullets and plasma bolts zipped and zapped amidst screams and war cries before it too eventually fell silent like them.

Vistulionir's Final Melody — Vistulskaya Lodwy Mrzka

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

A/N - Well, there ya have it. Final chapter of Remnant.  Confusing innit. I'll explain this scene in a future sequel.