Welcome home

Guineverre left the bank and decided to take a walk down to Knockturn alley, there was a shop she had heard about that she wanted to try. So, the sixteen year old girl made her way to the dark street, past all of the cloaked magicals that were clearly trying to remain hidden. She stopped in front of an abandoned building, the windows were blacked out and the stone was cracked. 

Looking up, she saw the scratched wooden sign with the words "Bunyip's Focuses" barely visible. Taking a deep breath, Guineverre placed her hand on the worn door. As she went to push it open, she suddenly found herself already inside with the door unmoving, as if it were never opened.

Looking around, she was surprised at the interior of a shop with such a withered store front. The shop was relatively small, and did not have the depth that came from Olivander's many shelves of wands. The shop was not, however, any less grand. The entire room looked as if it was created for a king. 

The walls were lined with golden lines, all crossing over each other and forming a cobweb pattern. The main walls themselves were a rich blue, reminding Guineverre of a starless night sky. At the thought of the sky, Gwen found herself looking up to the ceiling, expecting to find a similar coloured roof.

She was surprised to see that in the place of a simple ceiling, the shop had a silent storm hovering above it. A reminder of the great hall at Hogwarts. A place that the young Lady was having mixed feelings over. On one hand, it was the first place Harry Potter ever called home. On the other hand, it was ruled over by the manipulative monster known as Albus his-parents-must-have-hated-him-to-give-him-that-many-names Dumbledore.

To be honest, Gwen wouldn't blame them for hating Dumbledore; she hated him too.

A clearing of the throat brought Guineverre out of her thoughts. Looking in the direction of the sound, the sixteen year old was met with the sight of a middle aged woman sitting behind a large oak desk. The desk was quite large and was the width of the entire shop, leaving no room to get around it.

The woman was quite thin, from what Gwen could tell, very tall. Her forest green eyes were looking at the girl expectantly over the rim of librarian type glasses. They rested on the end of her nose and seemed to suit her very well. Her dirty blonde hair was as straight as hair could be (without seeming as if it were overcompensating) and ended at her lower back.

"Well Lady Peverell, welcome to my shop, I am Magnolia Bunyip." She spoke with a surprisingly soft voice, as if trying to keep a young child from being frightened. "I must say, it is lovely to finally meet you. I was waiting all week and here you are. Let's get this underway shall we, judging by the fact that you found this place, I assume you know what it is I do?"

Guineverre nodded and tried to recall what she was told. "You create magical focuses. Sorry no, you craft them. Whereas Ollivander matches existing wands to magicals, you specifically make a wand or staff or some other thing that acts the same as a wand."

The woman nodded with a smile on her face, glad that she didn't have to explain much. "Very good. I believe we shall start right away." Reaching behind the desk, Magnolia brought out many boxes, each one holding a small chunk of wood. She arranged them in a line until they were all out, around twenty in total. "Right, now Lady Peverell, if you would please reach your magic out towards the woods, and whichever ones call out to you, please identify them for me."

Doing as instructed, Guineverre closed her eyes and took a deep breath, concentrating on carefully pushing out her core and reaching towards each box. She kept at it for a few seconds before feeling two pulls. Opening her eyes, she pointed the two woods out, leading the woman to pick them up and inspect each.

"Hmm. Quite good choices you have here. This first one is cocobolo wood, it is the wood of passion, it has been known to enhance the traits that the Hogwarts founders focused on. It is a wood of ambition, courageous instinct, thirst for knowledge and care for those you love." She then looked to the other. "This one, bocote wood. Quite fitting I'd say, this wood symbolises the end of one cycle and the beginning of something new. It will do you quite well."

Setting the two woods down, Magnolia put the others away behind the desk, careful to not mix any up. The woman then proceeded to take out another twenty boxes, this time each having a stone or feather of some sort. "These are the magical cores, please repeat the process."

Once again, Gwen found herself reaching out with her magic and feeling the pull. This time from three different boxes, which were selected and inspected.

"Well, this is an interesting combination. First is the graphorn skin, very good for defensive magic, those beasts are almost impossible to kill because of their rock solid defence. Next, diricawl feather, very elusive ones they are. Muggles called them 'dodo' birds, they are said to be extinct but that is only because of their abilities to flee or hide. This and the defensiveness of the graphorn skin will make you almost impossible to harm or catch."

Reaching over to the last core, Magnolia's eyes widened before looking at Guineverre intently. "This is fascinating, you are very special Lady Peverell. What I have here, is probably the only one of these that have been in this country in the past thirteen centuries. This, is a chimera scale. Chimeras are extremely rare, the fact that I'm the one to create the wand for this scale is a true honour, I must thank you."

With that, Magnolia put away the other cores and brought out a large basin that had runes all around the rim. Carefully, she placed the woods in first with the cores on top. "My Lady, may I inquire what kind of focus you would prefer. For a combination like this I can offer a wand, a staff, a bracelet, a pendant necklace, a ring or an orb."

Guineverre thought for a minute before asking, "May I combine them? As in, could I have a wand and an orb seperately, and then my wand could grow into a staff that would house the orb. That way I can give the illusion that my power hasn't increased when I have my wand, but when I have both the orb and the wand my full power is shown."

The woman looked very impressed. "How very Slytherin of you my Lady. Yes, I do believe that I will enjoy making this combination. You're wand shall be a regular one, that does not show you're true power. The same with the orb, yet when they are combined, they form a staff with the orb held in it. It may take a while, so please return tomorrow and I shall be finished."

With that, Gwen said her goodbyes and headed back to the bank with a smile on her face.