Chapter 26

"Thank you, your Imperial Majesty, for bestowing upon me the most honorable title of Grand Duke of Ghesquire," Nikolaidis begins speaking.

"I will use my position to aid the continuous prosperity of our Wmpire and," Nikolaidis turns his eyes to Prince Henrik, "I will support our future Emperor, Crown Prince Henrik Ludington, as his loyal subject and assist in all his highness' endeavors for the good of Ghesquire."

The Duke bows reverently to the Prince and everyone claps. Estelle knows her husband purposefully mentioned the Crown Prince in his speech. Niko is really smart for announcing his support for Prince Henrik as the future Emperor during this ball. Since the most important people from all the territories of the empire are present, it will be easy for the news to spread. 

Henrik stares at Nikolaidis with an expression that Estelle couldn't read. Will Niko's very public announcement of his support be enough to convince Prince Henrik to stop his assassination attempts?

There's something about Prince Henrik that scares her. She really can't help but worry for her husband. Even though she knows what will happen in My Beloved Prince, she's beginning to have doubts. Will the events really occur in the future? What if the story got altered?

The Emperor stands up and raises a golden goblet, "let the Imperial Ball begin!"

The orchestra begins to play and guests start going in pairs to the dance floor. 

"May I dance with you, my lovely lady?"

She turns and sees Niko spreading an arm for her. She giggles, "certainly, my handsome lord."

The two of them begin dancing to the music. Estelle feels more comfortable doing all the dance steps in comparison to the last time she and Niko danced together.

We danced on my 25th birthday which was already more than a month ago. So much has changed, especially my relationship with Niko. I used to avoid him and repress my feelings for him but now I can do everything I want with him. We're practically inseparable. I've also fully adapted to my life here as a Duchess and I'm even co-managing a dukedom! 

She looks at her dance partner with a smile. It seems that Niko has gotten calmer, as if a burden has been lifted off his shoulders, "you're less tense now, Niko."

The Duke nods, "I don't think we'll be having any more problems."

Really? Was that enough to appease Prince Henrik? I'll just have to trust Niko's words.

"Then can we have a date around the Capital without any knights following us around?"

"Yes, my love," he says smiling at her. 

She leans on his chest, letting him lead their dance, "I can't wait..."

"Are you already tired?"

"I'm just doing this to be closer to you, Niko," she answers which makes him chuckle.

Nikolaidis suddenly gets an idea and whispers in his wife's ear, "we can go some place else and get even closer, love..."

Estelle straightens her back and looks around, "someone could have heard that!"

"Was there anything wrong with what I said?" Nikolaidis says with a smirk. 

That face of his will really be the cause of my death some day! I see that gorgeous face of his everyday but he can still cause butterflies in my stomach. It's hard to control myself when he's around...

The song ends and he gestures to the doors leading out into the garden, "want to take a walk with me?"

The full moon lights up the cobblestone pathway as Estelle and Nikolaidis walk through the garden right outside the grand ballroom. The music of the orchestra gradually grows fainter as they get further away from the party.