Chapter 36: The Harvest Ball

In celebration of the abundant yearly harvest, the Imperial Family hosts the Harvest Ball in the middle of the autumn season. It's one of the two annual balls held in the Capital of the Ghesquire Empire; the Founding Anniversary Ball being the largest and most extravagant. 

"I'm so glad you decided to attend the Harvest Ball, my lady. I think your highness will really enjoy the party. They say the most delicious food is served because they'll only cook the best fruits and vegetables harvested from across the continent!" Delia says as she fixes her master's hair.

"Really? I'll look forward to eating deliciously then..." Estelle feigns excitement.

The young maid is helping her prepare to depart to the Capital. Much to Estelle's relief, Delia only got minor injuries from the kidnapping incident last month and needed only a few days to recover. Even though their relationship is of master and servant, Estelle has grown fond of Delia over the months and sees her more as a friend rather than someone who works for her. The Grand Duchess also admires Delia for the bravery that she showed when they were being attacked by Nathaniel in the carriage.

Estelle is very glad that Delia seemed to have not developed any trauma from the incident. However, the same cannot be said for the Grand Duchess. For the past days, she's been conditioning herself to keep her fear at bay. She's not actually afraid of going to the Capital, it's passing through the pine tree forest that is causing her fear. Even just thinking about being surrounded by tall prickly trees makes her breathing difficult but she has no choice. There's no other way to get to the Capital but through the forest.

"You're all ready, my lady," Delia says, stepping away from the Grand Duchess.

The two head down to the courtyard of Blanchard Castle where Nikolaidis is already waiting beside the carriage for his beloved wife.

The Grand Duke helps Estelle enter the coach and sits right beside her, holding her hand gently.

"Are you alright, my love?" He asks with a look of concern on his handsome face as he notices Estelle's pale complexion.

Estelle nods and rests her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. Niko is here. I'm safe with Niko. She repeats in her head over and over as the carriage begins moving. Niko puts an arm over her, rubbing her shoulder comfortingly.

"You can just sleep, my love. I'll wake you up when we arrive in the Capital," he whispers and gives her head a kiss.

Estelle tries to make herself sleep but even after a couple of hours of keeping her eyes shut, she fails to fall asleep. She opens her eyes and straightens her back, facing her husband who's blue eyes are looking at her full of worry.

The surroundings suddenly darken and they both look out the window to see that they're already passing through the pine tree forest. Estelle's body freezes and she could hear her heartbeat accelerating. She tries to take a deep breath to calm herself down but breathing becomes difficult for her. She feels a sense of dread looming over her, as if the tall trees will swallow her whole and Nathaniel will come out of the tree line any moment to grab her away from the carriage.

Nikolaidis embraces her, his heart aching at seeing his wife suddenly becoming like this. He feels helpless, not knowing what to do.

"Estelle, breathe in my love. Breathe with me, yes, that's it. Inhale and exhale," he instructs her slowly, thinking it might help.

The Grand Duke feels a little relieved to see that it's working and continues to help Estelle breathe.

"You're okay, Estelle. You're safe, my love. Just keep breathing," he tells her as he rubs her back.