Chapter 30

A whole week passes relatively uneventful.

Although Estelle is anxious about the vague but threatening letter she received, she doesn't let herself get stressed about it because she knows it isn't good for her baby.

Estelle reasons with herself that whoever sent the letter has no solid evidence that can prove that she's truly a witch other than overhearing her conversation with Nikolaidis. Plus, she's not even sure what secret that person really meant.

Nikolaidis informs her that his private investigation on finding the sender of the letter has provided no results.

However, her husband reassures her, mirroring her same thoughts on the situation, "don't worry, love. It may have been sent mistakenly. Also, if the sender really mean that they believe you're a witch, that person has no evidence. Overhearing a conversation is not enough proof to accuse someone of practicing witchcraft."

With Niko's reassurance, she buries her uneasiness and focuses on her health. But, after more than a week of resting, Estelle has become bored. She's itching to do something productive and get back to her work as the Duchess of Blanchard. Unfortunately for her, Dr. Ludovic advised that she still needs to continue resting for another month, just until she finishes her first trimester, before she can return to work.

She's now alone in the west sitting room of the castle, her new favorite place to relax during the day as it has the perfect view of the garden. She's reading the story of Cinderella aloud for her her little one. She knows it's good for the baby to hear their parents' voice.

"And they lived happily ever after. The end."

Estelle closes the book, "did you like the story, little one? I should ask your daddy to read you another story tonight before we sleep. How about Jack and the Beanstalk? I think you'll like it!"

She hears a knock on the door and her husband appears on the doorway. Speak of the devil, Estelle thinks as she lets out a light laugh.

"I was just talking about you, Niko," she says, putting away the book on the coffee table.

The Grand Duke smiles at his wife, walking towards her, "what were you telling our little one?"

"I was just saying that daddy should also read a story. Are you done with work already?"

"No, I still have so much to do but I couldn't concentrate on work and I desperately wanted to see you," her husband says with a frown.

Estelle laughs at him. Niko usually doesn't complain but today he's acting like a whining puppy. He's really cute.

She gets up and spreads her arms out, "come here, daddy."

Nikolaidis gladly lets himself be enveloped in Estelle's arms. He bends down so she could reach his neck and he circles his hands around her waist.

Estelle inhales his familiar masculine scent and asks, "is work tiring?"

"A little," he admits, planting a kiss on her cheek.

"But you must be more tired, you're growing our little one in this delicate body of yours, mommy," he adds, giving her another kiss.

"No, I'm not tired. I actually feel full of energy and I really want to go back to doing my duties as Duchess..."

Niko straightens himself and gives her a look, "but you know you're not yet allowed. Right, my love?"

"I know," she sighs.

Nikolaidis cradles Estelle's cheek and leans in to kiss her but Abenant suddenly comes in the room without knocking. The butler's eyes widen, embarrassed for walking in on his masters.