NINE

𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐈

Passing through Mia's room which was previously Jo's room, I hear her talking. More like rambling.

"I suck at eyeliner. One side goes perfect then do the other side it kinda comes out good but doesn't match with that one side. So I try to fix it but it gets messy, ugh!"

Who is she talking to? Last night it was a "woosh" in the air. Is someone here? For her? To get her out? No, she would've told me.

Or would she? Can I even trust her?

I peek through her slightly ajar door. She was talking to the mirror, trying to poke her... Eye?

No. She is doing makeup.

"Talking to yourself? Great! Every day you prove that I am stuck with a sociopath," I sit on the edge of the bed. Her back was facing me.

"Says the sociopath himself," she rolls her round doll-like eyes.

"Why are you doing makeup?"

"Because I feel like it. I wanted to feel pretty," she continues painting on her face.

"You are pretty, even without makeup," I mumble quietly and of course, she hears it.

"Did the all-mighty Kai just call me pretty? Hmm, that's new," I bite my lips to contain myself from smiling.

She puts down whatever was in her hand. She stands up from the seat and leans down to stare at the reflection of herself, "Damn, I look hot,"

I let my eyes roam on her body. He was wearing a jeans skirt. She fluffs her hair.

"Tomorrow is my favorite day of the year," I say. She turns on her heels.

"Thanksgiving? Ugh, I thought It was yesterday," she says as if I just ruined her mood.

"What is your favorite day of the year?"

"The day I finally get to die. Like for real," I roll my eyes at her.

"You just went from being a butterfly to a bat,"

"Wow. That's the most accurate thing you've ever said," I furrow my eyebrows not knowing what she meant.

"A butterfly is a symbol for rebirth and resurrection, for the triumph of the spirit and the soul over the physical prison, Bats often represent death,"

"Okay,"

"But they both also represent rebirth so um... Yeah, whatever. Get lost. I have a date in an hour, wish me luck," she tells me looking at her non-existent wristwatch.

"With who? Posters?" I ask.

"Close enough. A cardboard cut out of Johnny Depp," she lets out a giggle after saying the name.

Isn't she being all cute?

"What about the ascendant?" I ask.

"You can look for it while I'm gone if you want. No pressure, of course,"

"Where exactly is the date?" What? I was just wondering.

"Why would you want to know?"

"What if your date dumps you? Or, you both decide to get drinks and get drunk. You know, can't have you driving drunk..." Hermie stands close to me.

"Drunk driving is the least of my concern in this empty, prison world," she places her hands on my shoulders. I tilt my face up.

"Well, imagine you hitting a tree while drunk driving and then a fire happens and the tree gets burnt down, or imagine you driving into a building and hitting a gas leak, then there will be a big explosion. I don't want that happening to our world," what am I even saying? Too far-fetched?

"Hmm... Can't have that happening to our world. There is a buffet restaurant two- no three, yeah, three blocks away to the left. Ah, shit, I forgot the name," she flashes a smile.

She makes her way out of the door. I fall flat on her bed. She comes back in her room snaping her fingers rapidly. She looks at me for a second before grabbing a key from the dressing table.

"I am taking my own car,"

"You don't own a car," I reply.

"I hotwired one and now it's mine," she hotwired a car? I thought she could only set a car on fire.

She picks a pillow and throws it at me. "Did I say that out loud?"

"You so did," she said. I laugh shaking my head.

She exits the room. I wait for a few moments then I heard the front door close and an engine roar.

Hope her hot-wired car works well and doesn't fire up her date with Johnny Depp cardboard cutout.

Fifteen minutes later, after roaming in her room finding CDs, toy cars, and a bunch of clothing and accessories.

A ring catches my attention. There was a chain through the ring.

I take it and go to my room to grab a bracelet from one of my drawers. There's the angel wings pendant dangling from the bracelet.

Hermie used to wear this angel wings pendant around her neck. And that ring was mine. It could spin into a sphere. We gave them to each other when we were practicing message spells.

I think about the memories.

"Touve mon se kavo," I chanted and the paper caught fire before vanishing.

I wait for a moment before a piece of paper appears beside me. It said "Got it :),"

We never asked for our belongings back.

Before I even know it I was in my car, driving to the restaurant. As I reach there I see Mia sitting on a dining sofa with her arms crossed, all frowned, staring at the table in front of her. Music is playing in the background.

"Where is your Johnny Depp cutout?" I ask, making my arrival noticed.

"I am in a dilemma," oh?

"What happened? Let me guess, he said he was too busy to come?" She rolls her eyes at me. I take the seat on her opposite side.

"No. While I was getting Johnny's cutout I saw a cutout of Leo beside it. I wanted both of them. But it felt unfair. I didn't know who to choose so I chose none,"

"Aww, poor soul. Fell for two boys at once. Now can't even make a choice," I pouted.

"Why are you even here? To annoy me? To make fun of me and my feelings?" She starts getting angry for nothing, obviously. Note a mental eye roll.

"About your feelings, I believe you have none. And I came here to see how your date was going, but I don't see any date going,"

"Ugh! Forget about the date,"