THIRTEEN

"Phesmatos incendia," the candles lit up immediately.

Mia made a small cut on Kai's finger. A couple of drops of blood fell before Kai pulled his hand away from the map.

"Phesmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem
Phesmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem
Phesmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem," Mia chanted these words over and over.

The blood trailed on the map to Portland, Oregon. She moved her hand around unconsciously. The candles flared up brighter. She kept her hand in the direction that caused the candles to flicker up. They walked further to the way with a candle in Kai's hand. It was leading them to Kai's room but suddenly the light of the candle went small. They moved around and the candle flared again.

The locator spell led them to Joshua's study which confused both siphoners. They were expecting the spell to lead them to Kai's room at first. They gave each other a questioning look. The candles went out. They rushed to the map but it wasn't there, neither were the candles, just the wooden box lying alone.

"See! I was there with you all the time. Who took the map and the candles? Where did they go? It wasn't me nor was it you," said Mia.

"You and your paranoia! You must have cloaked them while doing magic without knowing. You know. You are trying magic after a year of not even touching it. Maybe it's not in your control," Kai tried to elucidate.

"Ah! I can't keep up with your stupidity. It's exhausting," she scoffed and walked to the study. He followed her.

"I am not being stupid I am just presenting a rationalized thought," he defended himself.

"I stored the magic in the box by sealing it, without messing it up. And you think I can't handle a locator spell? You are so dumb. Next time I want to commit suicide, I'd climb up to your ego and jump down to your IQ level," Mia insults.

"Oh, shut up! You are the dumb one, you love me," Kai's words made her laugh out.

Oh boy, he does speak bullshit.

"Baby, you are delusional. Get well soon," she tutted him with pouty lips and puppy eyes.

Mia holds his hand all of a sudden, which takes Kai off guard. He shot her a querying look.

"I told you I'd let you have some," she reminded him. "Go on, siphon,"

"It will hurt you," he reminded her. Not because if she gets hurt too much he won't siphon, no, he would siphon either way.

She rolled her eyes, "I might have developed pain kink after all these years," she whispered, smirking. "If anything, it would turn me on,"

"No!... Really?" Amusement flashed on his face. He let go of her hand which confused Mia. He soon pushed her against the wall and wrapped his hand on her neck, siphoning from her.

"Leave some for me too," she didn't look weak, she looked dominant even when Kai had her choking against a wall.

She loved the pain. It was euphoric. Other people would find it hurtful but she or people like her found it ecstatic.

She lets her tongue dart out to wet her lips staring at Kai with a smirk. He wanted to mush his lips on her. He wanted to have her, ravish her. But he was holding back, god knows why. He stopped siphoning from her but he kept his hand around her neck.

"Harder," she moaned.

Kai lost control over himself and pushed his lips on her. Her hands go up on their own, to knead his head, tugging on his hair. His hand moved behind her neck, her nape.

Aww, Mia asked him to choke her harder but here Kai moved his hand to her nape, not choking her anymore. Mia must be real sad for not getting what she wanted. Or is she?

Sucks to be Mia, right? Yeah, I know.

Their mouths moved against each other. Mia's knees start weakening due to the temptation.

Kai noticed and put his hands down to cup her ass. He leaned down and picked her up and pressed her back.

They pulled away to catch a breath. Mia kissed him again.

Her eyes landed on someone behind Kai. She pulled away. Kai followed her eyes and looked behind.

"If this isn't Joshua Parker," venom laced in her voice.

Mia loathed Joshua. So did Kai.

"You both deserve each other. Two disgusting creatures. Two abominations. Two disappointments. Two murderers. Two psychopaths," Joshua said in disgust.

"Then why are you here? We were just kissing each other. What's bugging you? After all, we deserve each other. Why did you feel the need to appear here?" Said Mia.

"Isn't it weird for you to be here, at this moment?" Kai questioned. "Phesmatos superous em animi..." He put his hand up and whispered, pain-inflicting his dad.

"It is. Watching his son kiss a girl. Ew! It's you who is the disgusting one, right?"

Mia didn't want to waste her magic on trash so she took a pen, uncapped it and jabbed it in Joshua's neck.

He started to bleed soon and he disappeared.

"Mood? Ruined. But the pen move was badass," mumbled Kai.

"Hey! Don't let him get to you. Lighten up. Let's scan the whole room. And thanks, I was born badass,"

•••

The whole study was turned upside down by the siphoners, hoping to find the ascendant. Mia, sitting on the carpeted floor searching through some old boxes. While Kai stood on a chair looking through the bookshelf.

"What if the locator spell didn't work? Your dad did appear which is quite suspicious. What if he did something? I believe it's him who took the map and the candles," said Mia.

"Why do think it's him? Like I said earlier, you might have cloaked it and then motused it somewhere,"

'Why is he being so difficult?' Mia thought.

"It wasn't me. I know for a fact that it wasn't you unless you had your decoy self with me while you did the shitty work," aggression became prominent in her voice.

"Ok, calm down. I was just messing with you. I'll stop. The next thing I know is that I am getting stabbed in the butt by you, yeah, don't want that. It was my dad. He is a pain in the ass," Kai put his hands up in surrender.

"Thank you for the mind games and the idea of stabbing you in the ass, jackass,"

"You know, you get triggered and irritated pretty easily. You gotta work on that. You could have just ignored me,"

"Yeah, I better start working on that. Next time you talk I am going to ignore you. My time starts, now!" Mia asserted.

Kai kept saying nonchalant things to get a mad reaction from Mia. He was enjoying his time, not having Mia yelling at him or annoying him. It's his time to shine, his time to annoy.

"Did it hurt?" He asks randomly to which he got "What?" As a reply.

"Did it hurt when you fell from the sky?"

"Do I look like a dead bird to you?" She fired back to what Kai smirked. He wanted to get her mad.