FIFTEEN

"It doesn't even look like they belong to the ascendant. These are just some random gears," Mia said in distress.

"You saying shits like this isn't helping and how would you know? How would you know they don't belong to the ascendant?" Said Kai, fidgeting with the gears.

"I have seen 3 ascendants in my prison life. I know how it looks like, how it works,"

"Why would dad put gears in books?"

"To mess with us, of course," she replied and got up from the couch to get a drink.

"It wouldn't hurt to try these, Mia" Kai said receiving a shrug from her.

"Go on, if you want to, so bad. Geez!" She stormed out of his sight. He kept looking around in the library.

Meanwhile, she walked into Kai's room. She had this gut feeling that the ascendant was in his room somewhere concealed.

Closing her eyes, she rotated her palms around hoping to feel any kind of magical attraction. She swang her hand when she felt something.

Nothing but a harsh sound of air movement.

Mia heard Kai calling for her. Yawning, she went to check why he was screaming on top of his lungs.

There he was, holding the very ascendant into tiny pieces on his palm. "Where was it?"

"I don't know. It just fell out of nowhere and shattered," he answered.

"It was it your room," she laughed and continued, "I was in your room, I felt some magic there, I gestured my hand so that the magic would unfold. It came here,"

"Pretty strange but, hey, we have it," Kai was beaming. He is the happiest right now.

Her smile dropped, "but there's no point of it. We don't have a Bennett witch,"

Mia's eyes landed on a couple of gears, "I told you, these are decoys. Not real, Kai"

Kai lets out a huff of breath, "let's put these pieces together, shall we?"

"Hell yeah," she smirked.

•••

Mia managed to get the ascendant in one piece while Kai fell asleep while working, which, of course, made Mia a little mad. His innocently asleep look doesn't cool her down. Doing all the hard work when your partner sleeps his ass off, who wouldn't be a little over the edge?

"Kai?"

"Hmmph?"

"KAI!"

"Yeah yeah! What?"

"It's done. In one piece. We have two steps out of three," she said holding the device on her palm to him.

"Are you... going to tell me the spell?" He asked.

"Not yet. Not right now,"

"Why not? Can you push your paranoia aside for a second? It's not like I have a Bennett by my side, ready to do the spell. Telling me the spell is not going to make any difference, we will still be stuck here,"

"Yeah, then stop digging for the spell. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever," she shrugged, which only angered Kai.

Mia never trusted Kai, never will. She knows if he gets ahold of a Bennett witch, he will leave. He wouldn't care about her being stuck here or what.

But how in the hell would he get a Bennett witch in this empty world? An Elrod and a Gemini, both seem pretty useless in getting out of that place without a Bennett.

Neither of them spoke a word. Kai stormed out of the house. And Mia decided to go to her mother's.

When Kai returned, he found the home empty, no sign of Mia. The wooden box that she used to store magic in was on the dining table. He lifted it in his hand and shook it. The sound coming from it made sure there was something inside and it was sealed with magic.

Without hesitation, he siphoned the seal away. It held the ascendant. He placed the ascendant in his jacket pocket.

He knew what Mia could be so when went off to the house. He kept calling out her name but there wasn't any response. He stood at the closed door of the room he previously tried to suffocate her in her sleep.

He knocked a couple of times, like a well-mannered gentleman. But she ignored. She was reading her mother's diary.

A few moments later, Mia's reading was interrupted by the sound of a mechanical sound from the door, a blade poking through the door. She froze, trying to figure out what's happening.

Kai literally pulled out a chainsaw machine and cut through the door. Mia sat on the bed with an "excuse me?" look on her face. He kicked the remaining splinters away and walked in.

"How dare you?" She asked.

"Do not ignore me next time if you want to avoid things like this,"

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Kai?" This time she yelled.

"Don't judge me. I just couldn't stand the concept of you ignoring me," he said smoothly.

Mia was kind of taken aback by his words. Of course, he is an attention seeker.

"I never intended to be one of your obsessions... Or possession,"

"You are not an obsession or possession. Um... Maybe, until I find someone else," he slowly sat on the bed next to her, "I don't like being alone,"

"Why would you say that?" She asked which gained a confused look from Kai. She softly placed her head on his shoulder.

"What if I use it against you? Make fun of you?" She cleared.

"You won't. If you make me alone then you will be alone too. And no one wants to be alone,"

"I disagree. There are people who prefer being alone, you know, some people can be shitty sometimes and for that reason, being alone, done and away from shit becomes their better option,"

"Are you telling me I am a shitty person, little tiger?" He asked laughing.

"I don't know, am I? I have seen a lot of shitty people if I could keep up with most of it then I can keep up with you too. Plus, you haven't made me want to be alone, yet,"

"So... I make you want to be with me?" She can tell there was an egotistical smirk on his face without even looking.

She chucked, "I didn't say that though... Just shut up." She withdrew her head off his shoulder to look at him.

"How bout you make me, hmm?" Kai smiled at her, bringing his face closer to hers.

"It's not fair,"

"What's not fair?"

"You acting all charming after you cut through the door to get in just a few minutes ago. Smiling like the most loving and romantic man out there," a smile played on her lips but soon faded into a disdain look, "when you are none of it,"

"Let's act like I am. Let your heart be a fool for me,"

Mia shook her head, chuckling, thought for a second before pressing her lips on his, moulding in his arms.

She was putty in his hands, or was she?