TWELVE

Hermia came back to life, gasping for air. Sun was shining through the curtains. Kai had brought her to his room, rested her on his bed while she was out, dead more like. He is still confused about what really happened to them. It was a mystified night indeed. How did Hermia get impaled? Why was Kai unconscious on the ground? Was there someone else other than Kai and Mia? Or were they losing their minds?

Mia was all healed by the death. Kai was fidgeting some small nothing in his hands as he stared at her.

"Welcome back to living," he greeted her.

"Thanks. I was better dead but ok," Mia mumbles. Her eyes widened as a thought hit her, "where is the wooden magic container?" She asked.

"It's safe. It's right here. And don't worry, I didn't siphon from it. As you said, It's yours to siphon," Kai gestured at the box that was on the nightstand behind Mia.

"

We need to do the spell," said Mia. "Now!... We can't risk losing it,"

"I'll get a map, you get the candles," he ordered.

She got up from the bed and walked into her bedroom to her bathroom. Washing her face, she looked at the mirror. She noticed a candle on the sink, behind the toothbrush stand. When she tried grabbing it, it turned into powder. It was a hallucination.

Mia hurried downstairs but she slipped from the stairs. She felt something tug onto her ankle. She looked at her leg but there was nothing. And a 'woosh' sound went against her ear making her head whip in the direction. She felt a strong push on her shoulders and she stumbled and fell from the staircase. But she never hit the ground, her body hung on a rope around her neck. Her head fell forward, her hair falling on her face.

Meanwhile, Kai found a map between the old newspaper collections in the living room. He got in his room thinking that Mia had gathered a decent amount of candles and was all prepared to do the locator spell. But his room was empty. No Mia, no candles. He decided to go to her room but then he saw Mia hanging from the stairwell railing.

"Oh, so little bat died. Again," with a tired and bored expression on his face, he grabbed two pairs of candles from the kitchen and walked back into his room and got the wooden box.

Kai cut the rope from the railing with the knife Mia was gutted earlier, which causes Mia's dead body to fall on the ground. He sets the box, candles and map on a stair step. He got a packet of pork rinds. Waiting patiently for his partner to wake up and do the damn spell. He wasn't doing the spell on his own because he knows Mia cannot stay dead forever in a prison world since she is a prisoner. She will come back and hunt him down, torment him. Once you mess with Mia, you are over. She will get back at you, today or tomorrow, one way or another. And Kai knew that very well. If they were in the real world siphoning magic from that box wouldn't be much of a deal but considering that it's a prison world and that magic is the only amount they have and it can lead them to one of the keys to getting out. It is a big deal.

One or two hours later Mia, yet again, came back. She hastily removed the rope from her neck. Kai didn't even bother getting the rope away from her while she was dead. He was busy munching on pork rinds. She groaned in annoyance. Her whole body ached.

"Can you stop dying? It's getting boring and annoying. If you don't want to do any further work or don't want to find the ascendant. Just says so. I'd do it myself. Stop playing games," he said.

"What are you trying to say? I am doing it intentionally? Oh God! Kai, just say it, you want the magic to yourself. You want to do the spell, you want to get the ascendant without me. You don't want me or my help to be included in this. You want to work as the one-man army," Mia argued back.

Kai opened his mouth to reply to her words but she cuts him off by saying, "and why would I not want to find the ascendant, I wouldn't want to work any further? Are you out of your mind? I want to get out of here just as much as you want. Don't talk bullshit to me,"

"Then how did you die? Twice in twenty-four hours. Once by being impaled and now hanging from the railing. We both know you are suicidal,"

"What? Sorry but I don't speak stupid. You think I killed myself? That's funny because these patterns match with your history, not mine. I go for the throats and hearts with my knife not spleens and hangings,"

Kai was thinking that Mia was killing herself but here Mia thought Kai was doing it to mess with her.

"You think I killed you? Mia, I was thinking that you were only a sociopath but I didn't think that you also suffer from multiple personality disorder," Kai tutted at her.

"Don't put it on me, Kai. I didn't do it. Stop placing false accusations on me. And I am not a sociopath,"

"False accusations you say. You are the one accusing me of killing you twice. I will not take it nicely. What happened when you went to get the candles?" Kai inquiries.

"I went to my bathroom to get fresh and then... I don't remember," she mumbled looking at the floor.

What if she is really suffering from multiple personality disorder? What If Kai is right?

What if it's one of  Kai's dickish ways? What if he wants Mia to get crazier than she already is? What if it's him being a sociopath?

After all, sociopaths lie, manipulate, do irrational things, spontaneous.

Kai heard sniffles coming from Mia. He sat down on the floor next to her and reached out to her face, rotated it to see her crying. She quickly wipes her tears away and some new tears replace the old ones instantly. She brushed his hand away from her and turned away.

He growled, "God! Stop crying like a weak,"

Kai had never seen her cry before. He never thought he'd see her cry. He doesn't know what to feel or how to comfort her. So, he just sat there and did nothing.

"It isn't me. I am not doing this. Trust me, Kai. I don't have multiple personality disorder," she sniffled out and wiped dampen cheeks with her sleeve.

Mia gathered strength, pushed herself up and walked to the spell equipment.
Her utterance went from weak and sad to an angry and determined one.

She siphons from the box and laid the map on the floor. Kai got the clue and set the candles before holding his hand to her, grinning at her.

She stole a glance at his face to see the sickening smile on his face which she grew to love all this time with each other.

Her eyes landed on the bracelet he was wearing. A pendant dangling from it. It was hers. She takes the wing pendant between her fingers before looking at him.

He fished out the sphere ring necklace and held it to her. She let go of the pendant and shifted her attention to the sphere ring.

Kai unclasped the chain and put it around her neck and fastened it. The ring rested on the start of the valley of her breasts.

They break away from the moment soon.