Chapter 7- Alberto and Luca Reunite

Tears came running down Alberto's face. After all this time, Luca was finally here. He had waited for so long; the moment had FINALLY come. Luca stepped forward and stared into Alberto's eyes, tears forming in his eyes as well.

"Alberto.." Luca said softly.

With no hesitation, Alberto lunged towards Luca with his arms open. Luca ran toward Alberto as tears ran down both of the boys' faces. They were in unison, running towards each other at the same time and at the same speed. The two boys ran into each other's arms and felt at ease as they embraced in each other's arms. Fireworks went off in Alberto's mind as he hugged his best friend tightly, never wanting to let go.

"A-Alberto!" Luca said in between sobs. "I missed you so so much!"

Alberto couldn't even keep it together. He tried to say something back to Luca, but instead he just let out more tears. He wanted to say something but was too overjoyed to let go of Luca. Alberto picked Luca up and swung him around in a circle, laughing as he finally managed to stop crying.

"Haha Alberto stop it!" Luca shouted over Alberto's loud laughs.

Alberto never wanted this moment to end. He was finally seeing his love again.

Alberto set Luca down, still laughing with tears in his eyes. He looked over at Luca for the first time since reuniting with him. Alberto noticed how Luca had grown over the past year. He seemed taller, not significantly taller, but still taller nonetheless. Luca still had his adorable smile and rosy red cheeks. His brown hair was still curly, with a few strands swept down and across his forehead.

"Luca, you... you have no idea how much I missed you." Alberto said, finally calming down.

Luca embraced Alberto in another hug, putting his arms around the boy's shoulders. "I know, Al. I missed you too."

Alberto blushed uncontrollably, "Did you just call me Al?"

Luca nervously laughed, his face still in his sea monster form from crying so much. "Oh! Uh- yeah. I heard Giulia call you it a few times, I thought it maybe was a good nickname."

"That's okay Luca," Alberto said while still blushing. "I... I love it."

Luca had the same funny feeling inside of his chest; the same one that he felt many times that day. Luca felt his cheeks heating up but quickly told himself to stop.

The two boys stood there, both blushing slightly.

"Um.. I'm gonna go get Giulia real quick!" Alberto said, trying to change the subject. "I'll be right back, don't move!"

Luca nodded and smiled, before quickly stopping Alberto in his place.

"Luca what's-"

Luca quickly hugged Alberto once more before letting go. "I missed you Alberto."

Alberto hugged Luca back, "Yeah I know, Luca. I missed you too."

Alberto waved back at Luca as he ran away to go find Giulia. Luca anxiously waved back as he watched Alberto walk away. He examined Alberto as he started to talk to Giulia and Massimo in the distance. Wow, Luca thought. Compared to Giulia and Luca, Alberto looked a lot different. To be fair, he was the oldest out of the three, but Luca was still quite surprised. Alberto had much broader shoulders, and he had gained some muscle in his arms and chest from working with Massimo. Luca admired how hard working Alberto was all the time. Luca couldn't stop staring at his best friend; there was just something different.

Luca quickly snapped out of it, telling himself to stop staring. Sure, Alberto had gained some muscle, but that's just normal.

So why was Luca staring so much?

The thought came to Luca's mind for a brief second. Do I like Alberto? No, no he's my best friend. After attending school in Genova, Luca learned a lot more about relationships, especially from Giulia. Luca had learned that it's okay for anyone to be in a relationship with anyone else. Luca had always thought that only boys and girls could be in relationships together, but in Genova, he had been exposed to many different kinds of relationships. This made Luca happy, knowing that anyone could love anyone else. But he always wondered who he liked.

Do I like Alberto? Luca thought to himself.

Luca felt bad about even having that thought. He ignored the thought and continued to watch Alberto laugh as he talked with Giulia and Massimo.

No, Luca thought. He's my best friend, that's why I'm so happy whenever he's around.

Alberto started walking towards Luca, along with Giulia and Massimo. He pointed towards Luca while looking at Massimo, causing the man to smile after seeing Luca. Luca waved back at Massimo, who he had always liked.

"Luca! Come over here with us!" Alberto yelled to Luca. "I have some surprises for you." Alberto said the last thing a bit quieter, smiling awkwardly as he said so.

Luca nodded and walked over towards the group, noticing that Giulia was holding Massimo's hand with a big, warm smile.

He's just your friend, Luca.

Just your friend.