Chapter 8- The Gifts

Luca ran towards Alberto, who was standing beside Giulia and Massimo, chatting away. Luca found himself staring, watching Alberto be the funny boy he had grown so fond of last summer. Luca remembered last summer, oh how he wished he could go back in time and experience those few months all over again. Those were the best days of his life, mainly because he finally had some freedom. Most importantly, though, that's when Luca met his best friend, Alberto. Luca remembered what had just happened minutes earlier. He felt different, very different, especially towards Alberto. He brushed off the thought that he liked Alberto more than just a best friend. Little did Luca know..

Alberto was thinking the exact opposite.

Alberto's green eyes lit up as he noticed Luca standing in front of the group. They both exchanged smiles, making Alberto's heart start to beat faster. He wished he could just say something, he wished he could tell Luca how he felt. But his fear overwhelmed him, and he was unable to express his feelings out loud. On the outside, Alberto was calm and confident. But on the inside, he was just anxious and scared. He wanted to say something to Luca, but how?

"Luca," Massimo said softly. "I'm so glad you could join us. It's nice to see you back in Portorosso."

Luca smiled and waved at Massimo. "Nice to see you too, Signor Marcovaldo."

Massimo stepped forward and kneeled down, giving Luca a warm hug. Luca wrapped his arms around Massimo, but he could barely do so. Compared to Massimo, Luca was tiny. Luca laughed as he remembered how big of a man Massimo really was.

"Alberto was so excited to see you today, Luca," Massimo said while looking over at Alberto, who was too busy talking with Giulia.

"Huh?" Alberto asked. "What'd you say, papà?"

"I said- oh never mind haha," Massimo chuckled. He turned around to face Luca again. "You know, you were all he was really talking about."

Luca looked surprised, "Wait-really?"

"Why yes, of course. Just know that Alberto is a lot happier with you around, Luca. He really did miss you. Now.. why don't you go over to Giulia and Alberto. He has some things for you."

Luca listened to Massimo and walked over to the two. Alberto had his sleeve rolled down and was showing Giulia some of his scars from work, while Giulia was laughing. Luca thought back to what Massimo said.

"Alberto is a lot happier with you around."

Luca was worried. What did Massimo mean by that? Was Alberto not happy when he wasn't around? No way, not Alberto. Luca always knew that Alberto's personality could light up a room. There's no way he wasn't happy when Luca wasn't around.

Right?

"Luca!" Giulia waved.

Luca waved back, "What you guys doing?"

"Oh, I was just showing Giulia some of my awesome scars from fishing and being a lifeguard," Alberto said proudly.

"Awesome?" Giulia asked. "More like lame."

Giulia laughed, and Alberto let out a snicker. "N- no! They're not lame, they're awesome!" Alberto said.

Giulia laughed once more, "Whatever you say, Al."

Al.. Luca thought. Alberto was right, Giulia had given him a pretty cool nickname.

"Oh yeah, Alberto! How was being a lifeguard?" Luca asked curiously.

Alberto was just happy that Luca was interested in what he had been doing over the past year. He wanted to do nothing more than tell Luca about all the things he had been doing in Portorosso.