Chapter 35- A Bond Between Two Enemies

Giulia reached out her hand to grab the doorknob, but quickly pulled her hand away again. Was she really doing this? Was she really about to go out of her way to see Ercole, a.k.a her worst enemy? She stood outside of Ercole's door, contemplating whether or not she had wasted her time. Although Giulia still didn't know if this was a good idea, she did know why she wanted to show up in the first place.

Giulia heard what Ercole had done; what he had done to help Luca and Alberto. He had tried to help Luca and Alberto so they could find their Vespa. Of course, that very same help was what ended up causing him to get thrown off a cliff. And sure, maybe his motives weren't as noble and angelic as Giulia would have hoped. Ercole was promised to get unbanned from Portorosso if he had helped with the case, and that's exactly why he helped with the case in the first place. But in the end, it was still help nevertheless. Ercole actually helped someone, and it was Luca and Alberto of all people. That was definitely saying something. Giulia wanted to come and visit Ercole to say thank you. She wanted to thank him for essentially risking his life in order to help Luca and Alberto. Of course, he didn't know he was risking his life until it was too late.

Giulia thought about it for a moment again. One on hand, she was expecting Ercole to act a lot different. But on the other hand, a voice in the back of her mind told her that Ercole was still going to make fun of her like he did for so many years. If that happened, Giulia could never forgive herself for thinking it was a good idea to come here in the first place.

She took a deep breath, and very reluctantly decided to go inside and say hello. She slowly tuned the doorknob and opened the door far enough where she could just barely see the through. Looking through the crack in the door, she saw Ercole laying on his side. Giulia couldn't tell if he was asleep or wide awake, but she soon got her answer.

"I can hear you, you know.."

Giulia's face went white as a ghost, and she stopped in her tracks.

"I already told you, I don't need any more medication, okay? I feel fine."

Giulia frowned, and felt bad for fearing Ercole so much. Since he mentioned medication, he must've been in some sort of pain. That would make sense, considering that he fell off a cliff and almost drowned. She felt bad for almost walking away on him, especially since he probably wasn't in the best mood right now.

Ercole noticed that the door was still slightly open, but couldn't see Giulia through the crack.

"Signora, I don't need anything else. Please— just leave me alone."

Giulia wasn't really sure what to say. Oh don't worry Ercole, it's just Giulia, y'know, your arch nemesis. I've just been stalking you for a little while, no big deal!

The door wasn't closing at all, because Giulia was having a slight panic attack on the other side of the door. Ercole scoffed and shook his head. He didn't have the energy to care too much.

Giulia finally spoke, choosing her words very carefully. "Can I come in?"

Ercole turned around in his hospital bed. "Who's asking?"

Giulia gulped, "Uhh— it's Giulia."

Ercole felt surprised and squinted his eyes to try and get a better view of Giulia, who was apparently the person on the other end the entire time.

To Giulia's surprise, Ercole didn't say no.

"Come in," he said quietly.

Giulia turned the doorknob and slowly walked in, finally getting a good look at Ercole. He was sitting up on the bed, facing the opposite direction. He didn't say a word as Giulia walked in, nor did he turn around to look at her.