Chapter 24- An Unexpected Return

Alberto didn't even realize that Luca had fallen asleep on his shoulder until Luca stopped responding. He looked over at the boy asleep on his shoulder and smiled.

He's so adorable

Alberto carefully maneuvered his body away from Luca, hoping that he wouldn't wake him up. He gently picked Luca up and held the boy in his arms, planning to bring him back home. Alberto noticed how light Luca seemed; he just assumed it was because he had gotten a lot stronger. With Luca still dozed off in his arms, Alberto quietly and carefully made his way to the ladder and slowly plotted his way down. As soon as they reached the ground, Alberto wondered how the heck he was supposed to get Luca through the water without waking him up. He didn't think it was even possible.

"Hey Lu," Alberto said softly. "It's time to get up, we need to get you back home."

Luca groggily opened his eyes, feeling more comfortable when he saw that Alberto was holding him.

Luca yawned, "I'm so tired though.."

Alberto laughed silently and caressed Luca's cheek. "I can't carry you through the water, silly."

"Mmmm.. fine," Luca groaned as he stood up. He felt his back stiffen up as both him and Alberto headed into the water and started to swim away. After a few minutes, they arrived at the shore. At this point, the sunset was barely visible, and the only thing lighting their path were the street lamps along the road. Almost everyone else had either gone inside or was already sleep, leaving Luca and Alberto alone.

"Cmon Lu, let's take you back to your house," Alberto said quietly. Luca looked like he was about to pass out right where he was standing.

"Can... can you carry me again?" Luca asked.

Alberto laughed and nodded his head, "Of course, Lu." And with that, Alberto gently picked up Luca, who snuggled into Alberto's arms. Alberto looked down at Luca, smiling at him. Why is he so cute?

Alberto made his way to Luca's house, having the route memorized by now.

"You know, if you weren't so adorable, I wouldn't be carrying you," Alberto joked.

Luca blushed. "Oh shut up Al.." he muttered.

"You know it's true, though!" Alberto laughed as he leaned down and kissed Luca on the forehead. He still had a hard time believing that he had the boy he had dreamed of having for so long. It was indescribable how happy Luca made him feel inside.

Before turning onto Luca's street, Luca pulled at Alberto's shirt. Alberto stopped in his tracks to make sure Luca was okay.

"Al... I thought I heard footsteps behind us.."

Alberto calmed Luca down by holding his hand. "Don't worry, Lu. There are all kinds of noises at night, I'm sure it's nothing."

Luca was still worried, but felt safer after hearing that answer.

Alberto neared Luca's front door tried to open it, but it was locked. To Alberto's surprise, he heard someone on the other end slowly unlock and open the door. He didn't have any time to react as Luca's grandmother opened the door, revealing Alberto holding Luca in his arms.

"Ms. Paguro!" Alberto said flustered. He fumbled with Luca, desperately trying to put Luca down. Luca giggled in response; the fact that he was so tired did not help the situation at all.

Luca's grandma laughed, "Haha, don't worry Alberto, you can hold him all you want."

Alberto relaxed and looked over at Luca, not realizing that he had set him down on the ground in his flustered state. "Oops.. sorry Luca!"