Chapter 13- Sleepover

The trio finished eating their gelato, satisfied with the cold treat. Luca and Giulia hadn't had gelato since last summer, so it had tasted ten times better then they could have imagined. While they probably could have found some in Genova, there was something special about the gelato in Portorosso that made it the best.

"Mmm.. that was so good. Thanks again, Al," Luca thanked him.

"I forgot how good this stuff was, back in Genova we could've never gotten things like this," Giulia said.

Alberto smiled, "Well, I'm just glad you guys liked it."

Luca nodded, "I can't wait to eat Trenette el Pesto again." He looked over at Alberto, "I missed your dad's cooking haha."

Alberto stared at Luca and smiled. Luca stared back and felt his cheeks heat up. He stared into Alberto's green eyes, not knowing what to say. The two stared at each other and smiled for what felt like ages, not saying anything at all.

"Uhhh... you guys okay?" Giulia asked.

Both boys quickly stopped staring at each other. Alberto responded with a fast "yep", while Luca didn't say anything at all. Alberto looked over at Luca and noticed that he was fidgeting with his fingers, something he did whenever he got nervous. Why is he so adorable?

Giulia laughed but didn't say anything, knowing that she wasn't supposed to make anything awkward for Alberto. She tried to restart the conversation. "Yeah, I can't wait for papà's cooking again. Not that mama wasn't a good cook or anything... but it just doesn't compare to what we have here.."

"Also, we would've never been able to have gelato for dinner," Luca joked.

The three laughed and discussed what they were going to do next. Alberto desperately wanted to take them outside, but knowing it was going to get too dark soon, he ignored the idea. He couldn't wait to do so many things with Luca. He just wanted to explore the streets of Portorosso like old times. He wanted to take Luca to the island where they first met. He hadn't even been there at all since Luca was with him last summer, which had always made him feel a bit guilty for essentially abandoning their island, but he knew that Luca would want to go back there. What if it's a mess? Alberto told himself to go there and clean it up sometime. He just wanted to impress Luca; he wanted to impress his love.

"Could we watch a movie?" Luca asked.

Alberto lit up after hearing the idea, "Yeah! I hope there's one on, though"

"Oh, we could always check." Luca said. "Sometimes in Genova, me and Giulia would get home just in time for one of the channels to play a movie."

Giulia nodded, "Sounds like a great idea!"

Alberto had fallen in love with the television set that Massimo had purchased not too long ago. Alberto had never actually seen a movie or show on a television before, so he was amazed when Massimo first turned the device on. While there were only a few channels, Alberto could spend hours listening to whatever was on at the time. While he had collected some cool things for his tower in the previous years, none of them compared to the television. Alberto would always work with Massimo in the mornings and afternoons, and then came home in the evening to relax. At that time, there was usually something to watch, so Alberto couldn't wait to see if there was something on now.

"Cmon, let's go check." Alberto stood up and rushed over to the television. Giulia and Luca followed him, eager to watch a movie together.

Alberto turned on the television and flipped through the channels. "There has to be something..."

He suddenly stumbled upon a movie that was just starting to play. "Oh guys, how about this one?"

Luca and Giulia got closer to the television started to watch. A screen appeared, reading that title 'Attaco del Mostro Marino.'

Giulia laughed, "Attack of the sea monster?? Uhh I don't know guys, are you sure you watch this?"

Alberto shrugged his shoulders, "Yeah, why not?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because you guys ARE SEA MONSTERS!"

Alberto laughed, "These movies are never that serious, Giulia. It'll be fine."

Luca, on the other hand, was more hesitant. "I don't know, Al. I think she's right."

Alberto was disappointed, "Trust me Luca, it'll be fine. Please?"

Alberto looked at Luca, widening his big green eyes. Luca had a fuzzy feeling inside of his chest; he couldn't possibly say no to that face. "O-okay."

"Yes!" Alberto yelled. He looked over at Luca, noticing he was still a bit on edge. He softened his tone, "Don't worry, Luca. These movies are always funny and kind of stupid."

Luca loosened up a bit, "I'm just afraid they're gonna, you know.. make us look like actual monsters?"

Alberto worried that Luca was right but quickly told himself not to worry. "It'll be fine, if it gets too bad we can just stop, okay?"

Luca breathed out a sigh of relief, "Okay. Thanks Al."

Alberto nodded his head and turned up the volume on the television. The three sat back against the sofa and stared to watch the movie.

"Oh! I brought some popcorn from Genova," Luca remembered. "I'll go grab them.. I'll be right back." He ran upstairs to get his suitcase, leaving Alberto and Giulia alone.

Giulia gave Alberto a smug look. "Come on, Alberto. Now's your chance! Make a move!"

Alberto nervously shook his head, "But..."

"You'll never get him if you don't try!" she encouraged.

Alberto hesitated before slowly nodding. "Fine.."

Giulia squealed, "Yay! You got this, Alberto."

Alberto felt his heart beat faster and faster. Giulia started to watch the movie, while Alberto couldn't focus on anything for longer than 5 seconds. He heard Luca come downstairs, popcorn in his hands. Be cool Alberto, he thought. Be cool..

"I got the popcorn." Luca said as he handed everyone a bag. Alberto felt his muscles stiffen up as Luca sat down.

Now's your chance, Alberto.

It's now or never..