CHAPTER TWO: BAIT

CHAPTER TWO 

BAIT

*** 

PROSECUTOR DANKWORTH's POV 

It's almost midnight when all of us returned completely in the hide out. We took a rest as Christine, and the other one that was left with her a while ago was holding a pad, and checking things, as if they're looking if something's missing or I don't know. Christine has always been unpredictable, especially in her cases, and I doubt that she will slip on this one. It's her best friend's case.

"Alright," Christine sighed after they were done. She closed the pen she was holding before she looked at us. Kaniya-kaniya na kami ng higop ng kape dahil kapwa na kami inaantok. I also don't even know kung pang-ilang kape ko na ito. All I know is I have to keep my mind working, all day and all night because some clues, some idea or solution might come to my mind and I can't be asleep. Sayang ang oras kung itutulog ko lang.

"Let's divide this. Finance, senate, projects..." Christine looked around. "And her cases since she started as a lawyer but let's leave that for now...I don't think they will focus on her cases since Plunder revolves around money and projects..."

The people inside—we were divided into different tasks to review the files that we have in hand. Nevertheless, of the files that we have, Christine was still skeptical with everything that we have. She wanted to dig deeper into Sunset's files—with the same thoughts as her, because we both know that Sunset wouldn't do such things, and leave her foot prints where we can see in right away.

And that's what we have to look for.

Her foot prints that she buried so deep. We can't just wait for it to reek whenever it wanted. It has to be right now. As soon as possible.

Christine removed the picture frames, and other stuffs hanging on the glass wall that separates the kitchen and the living room while we are all busy reviewing the files that we gathered. Inipon niya iyon sa isang box. After she did that, removed the curtain of the comfort room door, and placed it on the other side of the glass wall. Nagmukha iyon white board, and by that, I know what she's up to.

We continued reviewing the files, and exactly at 4 in the morning, we are all done—almost but enough to have the gist of the files.

"Let's go to the basic information first." Christine announced and draw a three column in the glass wall using the black marker. She was holding a red one for I don't know what reason.

"Kanino 'yon?" Christine asked.

"Oo nga pala, bakit may basic information pa? Aren't we all know that?"

I scratched the bridge of my nose, hearing Sunset's voice in my head—and unconsciously voicing it out. "Tanga! Everything starts with the basics diba?"

Everyone looked at me with confusion. Ang ilan ay napailing dahil mukhang alam nila kung saan ko nakuha iyon.

"Paano ka matututong lumunok kung hindi ka marunong sumubo?" Christine asked nonchalantly. I almost choked on my own saliva upon hearing what she just said. Napairap na lang siya at muling tumuon ang atensyon sa glass wall.

Some was trying to hold their laughter because Ten might seem serious—but ONE A just can't be serious at all times. We need a breather. Kahit ako ay hindi ko mapigilang matawa. Not because of Christine's words but because I suddenly remember how furious Christine was when we are in college because of some matter but Sunset was hiding behind my back, covering her laughter for Christine.