CHAPTER FIVE: THE FIRST VERDICT

CHAPTER FIVE 

THE FIRST VERDICT 

"Please wait for Senator Santiago. She'll be here after few minutes..." I sat up straight when two cups of coffee were served on us. Sunset on the other hand smiled at the woman in front of us. May croissant na naka-serve kasama ng dalawang kape kaya walang pagdadalawang isip kong kinuha ang tinidor. Damn. I'm starving.

But I almost hissed when I felt Sunset pinched my side.

Her smile remains on her face, looking up at the woman. If I'm not mistaken, she's the secretary of Senator Santiago. "Sa'n po siya?"

The woman answered right away. "Nasa meeting pa siya, but it will end in a few...Maiwan ko na kayo rito ha."

We both thanked her before she left. I was about to grab the fork again when Sunset pinched me again on my side Napatingin ako sa kaniya nang nakakunot ang noo.

"What?"

"Wala lang, sabay tayong kakain. Epal ka." She tucked her tongue out before getting the fork herself and started to eat the croissant. Instead of being irritated because of what she said, I just shook my head and picked up the cup of coffee instead.

Akmang hihigop ako nang magsalita siya. "Mainit 'yung kape?"

Napatingin ako sa kaniya. "Are you seriously asking me that? Coffee is not a coffee if it's not hot."

"Wrong." Hindi na siya nakatiis at binitawan ang tinidor bago kinuha gamit ng kamay niya ang natitirang piraso ng croissant. She rested her back on the sofa before crossing her legs. "Coffee is not a coffee if it is not cold. Pang mayaman lang 'yang mainit! Sassy probs!"

I just sighed before sipping a little on my coffee. Nang mailapag ko ulit sa center table ang cup ay napatingin ako kay Sunset. She's sitting like she's in her own home. Instead of scolding her, I removed my coat before placing it on her lap to cover her crossed legs. Naka-skirt pa naman siya for formality. May sa tibo rin itong isang 'to minsan.

"Thanks, prosecutor." She laughed out loud, and I don't have a choice but to cover her mouth.

"Shhh..." Pinanlakihan ko lang siya nang mata. Alam na alam niya kung paano ako kukulitin. Being called as Prosecutor is one of my weakness. Alam niyang pangarap ko iyon.

"Uy kinilig!" she laughed once again but this time, in a low voice. I just stared at her, and she did the same thing before holding my hand after a while. She played with my finger, specifically on my ring finger however, it's not the only thing I noticed.

Kinuha ko ang parehong kamay niya bago iyong isinaklob sa palad ko. My hands are bigger than her so I was able to cage her hands on my palm completely. Inilapit ko iyon sa bibig ko bago ko hinipan. Sunset frowned because of what I did but she didn't withdraw her hands away.

"Christine should be the one here in the first place, if you just answered the question rightfully." I said. We almost lost the title defense if Christine didn't butt in before the panelist could collect themselves. Asa punishment to Sunset, Christine told Sunset to be the one to talk to someone in the government for us to be able to make our Study possible.

And that's why we are here now, inside a Senator's office, and even Sunset would deny it, she's nervous. Her hands says it all.

"Sinisisi mo 'rin ako?" she asked dramatically.