Chapter 2

Late that night, I let myself into my condo, dropping the bags on the floor by the front door before slipping off my shoes. I was exhausted from my busy day with Carrie. After getting coffee, Carrie and I had spent the remainder of the afternoon, browsing the shops (meaning her dragging me to every store) before finally grabbing dinner at one of our favorite places. Carrie had helped me select my dress and shoes for the rehearsal dinner which was to be in another week, choosing a dress for herself as well. Although I had fun spending time with her, it hurt my heart knowing that she was helping me prepare the wedding to the man she loved.

When the wedding planning had begun, I had been hesitant to accept when Carrie offered her help, but she was persistent, reassuring me that she was fine with it, that she cared enough about me to want to help me. So far, things had seemed to be okay, but there were times when I could sense the sadness in her eyes. She would wave off my concern, letting me know that she was all right, that there was nothing to worry about, that she was handling everything okay. However, I knew deep down that she wished the plans were for her own wedding to Nicholas. Part of me wished that there was something I could do about it, but deep down I knew that there wasn't. And as much as I hated to admit it to myself, I was glad. Not because I wanted to marry Nicholas, but because I believed she deserved so much better than him, deserved someone that would put her first, each and every time. Someone that would make her a priority, not a second thought or a backup plan.

I picked up my bags from the floor and carried them into my room, placing them on my bed. After hanging up the dress and placing my shoes in the closet, I moved into the bathroom and turned on the shower, waiting for the water to heat up. I stripped out of my clothes and dropped them in the hamper before stepping under the hot spray. The hot water was a welcome relief to my sore muscles (thanks Carrie) and helped to ease away the stress I was feeling from all the planning for the wedding (thanks mama).

Washing up quickly, I shut off the water and stepped out of the shower. I toweled off then headed back into my bedroom to dress. Deciding on flannel pants and an old cotton shirt I stole from my best friend in college, I climbed into bed, ready to be done with this frustrating day. However, I lay there for over an hour, unable to sleep. Too many things were racing through my mind, chasing away the opportunity for sleep, leaving me wide-awake in the darkness of my bedroom.

Rolling over onto my side, I thought about Alex. Alex had been my best friend in college. We had met when we both had taken the same creative writing class as nervous freshmen. He had wanted to be an editor while I had plans to go into photojournalism so our classes after that were usually similar. We had been paired up for a project and had hit it off immediately. I, like every other stereotypical girl, had fallen for him and spent the next four years trying to hide my crush on my best friend. I know what you're thinking. Alex and I both had feelings for each other and we finally confessed. Nope. This part of the story didn't have a happy ending.

I never confessed to Alex and a year after we graduated, he married the girl he had been dating. Yep. Alex didn't have the feelings for me that I had for him, but I eventually got over it. Clearly we were not meant to be. They're happily married and expecting their first child, a girl, in five more weeks. His wife, Ashley, is actually really sweet. She never had a problem with our friendship, was never the jealous girlfriend and that soothed a lot of my fears. Her and Carrie would probably get along great. I definitely should introduce them sometime. Carrie needs another friend. One who isn't a complete train wreck. With those thoughts in my mind, I finally fell asleep.

***

The next morning came far too quickly and I groaned as I shut off the alarm that was blaring next to my head. I hadn't slept well the night before since my dreams were plagued with little green people with my mother's face running around in highlighter yellow and neon orange bridesmaid dresses, telling me I was forgetting this and forgetting that. Maybe I was lucky to be awoken from that ridiculous nonsense.