Chapter 17

Reader POV:

I sat on the sofa in Stella's house, my small bag of stuff at my feet. After we had stopped by the guys' house to pick up my things, Stella had insisted I stay with her and Monty, insisted that this was where I needed to be. I knew there was some things I was missing about the whole situation, but I was nervous about how to approach the topic. It was clear there were some things that Stella knew about me, knew about what was happening and I was more than ready to find them out.

Monty had retired to their den to catch a game on television and Stella was in the kitchen making us coffee. When we had returned to the house, she had told me to go wait for her in the living room while she made the coffee. I had volunteered to help, but she had gently steered me in the direction of her living room, telling me to make myself comfortable and it would only take a moment. I suspected she had needed a moment to herself to prepare herself for this conversation, a conversation I was growing more and more concerned about as the time went by.

I had been surprised when she had told me she knew who I was, but when I started to ask, she had waved a hand at me, ensuring we would talk about it when we arrived back at her place. She said all conversations were better over a good cup of coffee. It was why I was currently sitting in her living room, twisting my fingers and thinking of the looks of hurt on both Jimin's and Jungkook's faces. I knew Stella had seen them since I could see Jimin from the car, but I hadn't asked what he had said and she hadn't offered.

Stella's soft footsteps pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked up to see her coming into the room, steaming cups of coffee in her hands. "Cream and two sugars, right?" I nodded and she set the cup down in front of me. "That's what I thought. It's what you had earlier." Stella sat down next to me and took a sip from her own cup before setting it on the table.

"Stella?" The woman hummed in response and I knew she was listening, knew she was ready to talk. "How... how did you know who I really was?" I knew my voice was shaky, but at the moment, she was the only one here that I could trust, the only one in this godforsaken town that was willing to listen to me, willing to let me explain what was going on with everything.

Stella gave me a small smile, one that was full of understanding. "I'll answer your questions, but I have some first." I nodded, a silent sign that I would tell her whatever she wanted to know. "Tell me about your parents."

Ugh. My parents. Just the thought of my mother made my stomach clench in pain. "There's... there's not really much to tell. My dad and my grandmother, his mother, are amazing, but my mother? We... we don't really see eye to eye on anything. She hates my job. Hates my best friend. Hated the only boyfriend I ever really had. There's... there's not anything she really likes about... about me."

Stella nodded, her eyes filled with compassion. "I'm so sorry to hear that honey. Tell me more about your dad."

My heart melted a little as I thought about my dad. "He's a good person. He... he tries but sometimes... sometimes he just doesn't know what to say to her. He wants to... wants to defend me but he just doesn't know what to say." I leaned back against the sofa, trying to keep the tears at bay. "I... I wish he did, but... it's..." My voice trailed off as I spoke and I couldn't help the tears this time. They trickled down my cheeks, in a never-ending stream that made me feel weak.

Stella wrapped her arms around me and gathered me in a hug. "Aww honey. It's... it's going to be okay. I promise you."

Unable to stop myself, I let Stella's warmth wash over me, crying into her shoulder. I stayed like that for a few moments then leaned back, laughing at my sensitivity, at my emotional state. "How... how did you know who I was?"