Chapter 18

That night I lay in the bed in Stella's guest room.  She had insisted I stay the night while I tried to figure out what to do.  Although it was late, I called Carrie, needing to update her on everything that was going on.  Understandably she was stunned.

"So you're telling me that that horrid bi-beast that put you through this torment isn't your mother?  Who the hell does she think she is to think this kind of behavior is okay?  To think it's okay to manipulate people like this?"  I could hear the absolute rage in carrier's voice and could picture her pacing back and forth in her pretty little apartment, her steps quick and angry.  I had seen her do it so many times that it was something I could imagine as clear as if she was standing in front of me.

"Yeah.  Angela... she was my mother."  I had told Carrie stories about Angela before.  About her teaching me to make brownies.  About the way she would lie on the floor and color with me when I was a kid.  How she was the one that helped me when I started my cycle for the first time and couldn't figure out how to get the wings to attach without sticking to each other.  She had been there for every moment in my life and would have been proud of the award I had been nominated for, the award that was yanked from me just as quickly.

Carrie was silent for a moment and I knew she was thinking.  "How are you feeling about it all?"  Her voice was gentle, soothing, and I knew she was worried about my state of my mind.

"I'm... I'm okay with it, I think.  I wish I would have known all along, but I'm glad I got to spend the time with her that I did.  I used to pretend she was my mother when I was younger, even when I was a teenager.  Maybe a part of me knew all along who she really was to me." I know it sounded strange, but it helped me to process everything that was happening, everything that was going on.

"Could be.  We're more intuitive than we think we are."  Carrie was silent again.  "What about the guys?"

"W-what do you mean?"  I was surprised by her question since I hadn't really told her much.

Carrie sighed, the sound coming out a bit frustrated.  "Come on honey.  I know you better than you think I do.  There was something going on between you and them.  If there wasn't you wouldn't sound so upset right now.  So tell me the rest of what happened."

Damn.  I should have known that I couldn't keep things from her.  "Well... I may not have been completely honest about them."  I quickly told Carrie everything, from cleaning their rooms to making dinner to the movie and wine with Yoongi.  I even told her about Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook sleeping in my bed.  I ended with the incident with the photos and Jin flipping out on me and telling me to leave.

"Wow.  So you run away from Nicholas and managed to snag seven handsome men.  Well six since Jerk Jin isn't included in there."  Carrie's voice was full of amusement and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I didn't snag six men.  We were just... friends."  Even to me, the excuse sounded flat and I wondered if she would even believe me, even trust what I was saying.

I could hear Carrie's snort of amusement.  "Sure because friends want their friends to stay, to hold their hands.  Friends admit they like each other and snuggle up to their chests at night."

Although I wanted to deny it with everything I had, I just couldn't.  I had fallen for the seven of them, which made me feel terrible.  What kind of woman develops a crush on seven men?  What did that say about me? 

"Stop.  Stop right now. I know what you're thinking.  There is nothing wrong with you having feelings for them.  You have such a great capacity for love that it would make sense that your heart would just be too big for one person.  It makes sense and I don't want you thinking anything bad about yourself.  Do you hear me?"  Carrie's voice was stern, a motherly protective tone I had heard from her before, the same one she had used on my cousin Iris when the nasty woman had said something hurtful to me.