4) ANCIENT HISTORY

*Ian Romero's POV

*Ian Romero's POV

I was starting to think I really disliked Cody Walker. After the three hours I had had to listen to his snarky comments and look at the scowl on his face, I was pretty much done. I wanted to go home — or even better to the boxing studio. I would really, really feel better after a good match with a punching bag.

Thank god Ade was back and I could pour it all out on him, again. I don't know how he did it: he could easily listen to me rant for an hour and still have energy to smile. Ade was always smiling, having him around was like having a portable sunshine with you wherever you go. 

Ade has dark skin, dark brown eyes, dreadlocks, full lips and he's almost as tall as me. He's crazy about animals, especially dogs, but he's also good with people. Ade usually likes everyone — although I'm pretty sure even he wouldn't stand Cody — so I was surprised when he said he didn't like Bryce, Jeremy or Kaleb. 

"I don't know, there's just something sketchy about them." Ade shrugged, looking uncharacteristically glum, while we sat at a vacant table. We didn't sit with Bryce, Jeremy, Kaleb or their female friends (most of them were after Jeremy), which was fine by me.

"They're fine, maybe slightly annoying, but still. They're totally tolerable." I reasoned absent-mindedly. 

My mind kept wandering back to this morning and all the stupid things Cody said. That guy was really getting on my nerves.

Seriously, who does he think he is? How smart did he think he was if he could call me brainless? I'm not a genius, but I'm definitely far from stupid.

I looked on my right and my eyes immediately landed on a familiar head full of curly dark hair. Cody was sitting with someone who looked distantly familiar — and he was smiling. Apparently he still knew how to do that. 

Funny enough, Cody could have been cute and probably even popular amongst the girls, if he had kept on that smile and dropped the attitude. Oh, I almost forgot he wouldn't care less about the girls even if they showed interest in him.. well, I guess he could be popular amongst guys then. 

"Are you planning to eat or will you just keep staring at him?" Ade interrupted my train of thought, which was probably for the best because I was getting totally off the point.

"Yeah, yeah." I grunted and continued eating my already tepid meal.

Let me tell you one thing: life isn't fair. The rest of the day we continued doing that stupid project and we would continue doing so for Thursday and Friday as well. I was just about done after the first day, so I did give the punching bag a good match at my kickboxing workout at the martial art club.

On Thursday I had to listen to more of Cody's snarky comments — "I could be nicer if you were smarter." "Yeah, I heard you, I just don't care." — and tolerate the scowl on his face, all the while actually trying to get the project done. Even the way he was constantly munching something (mostly green apples) felt like he was doing so to annoy me. 

I wished I could cram the existence of Cody somewhere deep down in the memory system of my brain.

Then it was Friday and I was furious. Just the mere thought of Cody's face made me grit my teeth, and I had no idea how I could actually get through the morning classes without punching his stupid face. I'm not kidding. He was just that annoying. 

I felt bad for Callie, who was just trying to get the project done before we raised a war. I must admit, though, that apart from his attitude, Cody was actually doing his part well. Well, until it was time to make the presentation.

"I'll explain the first three slides, Cody will do the next three and you will do the rest. Okay?" Callie asked.

"Sure whatever." I nodded.

"Do I have to talk?" Cody opposed. He was probably just trying to make us do the work, although he did look a bit pale and he was twiddling the rings on his fingers. He had three plain silver rings on his right hand, two on his ring finger and one on his index finger.

"Oh, where's that witty attitude now?" I snorted at Cody. I was way past feeling empathetic towards him and I sure as hell wouldn't coddle him after everything I had had to put up with him during the project. 

"Fine, I'll do the slides." Cody just said defiantly, looking away from me. 

Soon we were standing in front of the classroom, all our classmates staring at us. Callie was preparing the presentation while I stood next to Cody. I disliked the guy with all my heart, but I'm not heartless. 

Seeing how he hid his trembling hands behind his back and how he had to lean on the table to stay steady on his feet.. Of course I felt bad for him.

"I can present your slides." I leaned closer to him and whispered my offering quietly. Cody didn't answer, he just glared at me with eyes that said: piss off.

I was about to open my mouth and tell him I was just trying to help his sorry ass, when Callie was ready and we could begin the presentation.

She was excellent, no doubt about that, and Cody sounded more confident than he was. His hands were shaking even more, but he kept them hidden behind his back, so nothing gave away his anxiety.

"..and the amygdala gives the emotional a-attachment to memories and, um.." Then something seemed to unnerve Cody and he started stammering. 

Bryce snorted loudly and it was followed by other students until the teacher told them to kindly shut up. I gave Bryce a warning glance. I mean, I had absolutely no reason to feel bad for Cody, but that was a bit uncalled-for. 

"And that's important, because strong emotional memories are difficult to forget." Cody collected himself exemplarily and for a second or two I felt almost proud of him. Then I remembered what a snarky smartass he was and the feeling was gone.

Once the class was over, I decided it was about time to have a few words with Cody. I swear I was planning to keep the conversation constructive and peaceable, but.. that.. guy.

"Cody, wait up!" I seized his shoulder in the hallway after the class was over. 

"What?" He snapped, turning to look at me, his blue-grey eyes filled with annoyance.

"Seriously, what's your problem? What have I done to you?" I snapped back at him.

"I wonder what that could be." He sighed.

"If it's about that thing, can't you just let it go already? We were kids back then and it's ancient history." I pointed out.

"Ancient history? Really?" For a split second I could see something else than just anger in his eyes: hurt. Cody seemed sad for a second or two, before his expression turned to incredulity.

"That's funny. So very funny." He laughed joylessly.

"I don't get why you need to make it such a big deal of some stupid nickname or a laugh here and there." I muttered.

"God, you're even stupider than you look." Cody snapped at me and turned away swiftly, accidentally bumping into Bryce who was just about to walk past us.

♡♡♡

Question of the day:
Coffee or tea?

(Me: Coffee. I mean, I can easily drink a litre of coffee a day. 😅☕)