24) THEORETICALLY

*Ian Romero's POV

*Ian Romero's POV

I was standing in front of a mirror and even though it was already Saturday, my thoughts kept going back to the race Cody and Oat had yesterday. Me and Ade had been watching by the stands and this time we cheered for Cody Walker and Oat Burton. 

I was getting more and more certain that dream had somehow shattered my brain, since I couldn't stop staring at Cody — yet again. I remember the first time I saw him running and even though I had been impressed by his fastness, it was nothing compared to what I felt yesterday.

Cody's body was the opposite of bulky, but it wasn't scrawny either. Yes, I was shamelessly regarding his body when his attention was elsewhere. When Cody ran, or more precisely sprinted, I revered his movements. 

There was something seriously wrong with my brain: how could I possibly get this obsessed with someone just after I dreamed about him? And I had promised myself I would act normally.. yeah, right. 

I glanced at my reflection from the big mirror. After a long consideration I had chosen a simple outfit: black jeans, green hoodie, denim jacket and my favorite pair of Vans shoes. I didn't want to look too polished, but I wanted to make sure I looked stylish enough. If that makes any sense. 

When I decided I was ready, I slumped on my bed and lay there staring at the ceiling.

It had started to look unavoidable that Cody would win — until his shoelaces came undone and his sneaker loosened just enough to fall off. I could see how he cursed and although he continued running with just one shoe, Oat had already passed him. They were laughing heartily and so loudly me and Ade could hear it all the way across the track. 

"That's cheating! We need a rematch!" Cody panted, reaching the finish line after Oat. 

"It was your shoe, so I wasn't cheating." Oat laughed, panting as well. 

"So this is how you race?" Ade joined them and I followed right after. Despite his defeat, even Cody started laughing — I couldn't remember the last time I had heard him laughing genuinely — and that's how we ended the Friday evening. All the four of us laughed like a drain in the emptied sports field and we laughed until our bellies hurt.

At that moment I felt euphoric and I knew I wasn't the only one.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I nearly had a heart attack when the doorbell rang. Then I had already bounced on my feet and all but ran downstairs. 

"Slow down, honey. You can't go to a party if you get quadriplegia." Mom scolded me from the kitchen. She was smiling, though, and in a good mood, since she too was going out tonight. I'm not sure if it was the same guy — was it Rick? Ronald? — but either way she looked really nice in her ocean green dress.

"Okay, mom." I laughed. Then I was already at the door and I opened it to see Ade wearing a bright yellow shirt that had a print of bright blue flowers. "Oh wow, that literally hurts my eyes."

"Says the one who's wearing an army green hoodie to a rave." Ade joked and wrested one arm around my shoulders to keep me still while he ruffled my hair. 

The plan was that I took Ade to the party and Oat forced Cody with them. My part was a lot easier, since Ade willingly appeared behind my door and he was about as excited about the party as I was. I have no idea how Oat could manage their part, but I truly hoped I could see Cody tonight.

"We'll get going now!" I let mom know before we were already out of the door. Ade was carrying a six pack of beer and I had a bottle of good quality wine in my bag. 

When we walked in the dusky streets, under the streetlights, I was thinking about Cody. I wasn't thinking if the party would be nice, I was thinking whether Cody would like it there. I wasn't thinking what it would look like inside the building we were heading to, I was thinking about what Cody would be wearing. 

As I said, my brain was stuck in the Cody channel: Cody this, Cody that, Cody there, Cody here. Cody, Cody, Cody.

"Tell me, what is going on between you and Cody?" Was Ade reading my mind? 

"What? Me and Cody?" I asked, knowing more than well this tactic wouldn't work on Ade. He simply knew me too well.

"Yes. You and Cody. Come on, spill the beans." Ade continued. 

"What would you say, if I told you I like him? Theoretically." Well, why not. If I was going to talk about this with someone, there wouldn't be a better choice than Ade.

"Theoretically? Well, I would tell you he's a good guy and that I wouldn't see any reason not to like him." Ade said, smiling warmly.

"But how would I know if I like him? Theoretically." I continued.

"Does he make your heart flutter when he walks in the room?" Ade asked.

"Yes." I admitted. 

"When he looks at you, do you feel like the rest of the world disappears?" Ade continued. 

"Yeah." I muttered. 

"Do you think about him all the time?" Ade gave me a knowing look.

"Yes, pretty much so." I sighed.

"Do you yearn to touch him?" Ade asked. 

"Uh-huh." I was thinking about how Cody's hair felt against my fingertips and I was thinking about my arm around his waist, pulling him closer. 

"How about kissing him?" Ade continued. 

"Goddammit." I groaned.

"Well, that, my friend, means you most definitely have feelings for Cody." Ade smiled sympathetically and patted my shoulder.

♡♡♡

Question of the day:
What do you think about this story so far? Who is your favorite character?

Your feedback would be priceless for me. 🤍 My thoughts about this story so far: well, at first I wasn't really a fan of Ian, but now he's kind of my favorite. Writing about him falling in love with Cody and getting all bothered is a lot of fun. 😆 Otherwise, mm, I think this definitely isn't my best story, but I still think it's readable. Or something.