10) DINE WITH ME

*Ian Romero's POV

*Ian Romero's POV

I promised myself this would be the last time I go to watch Cody's practice. His face had mostly healed and there was no reason to look after him anymore. No one was giving him a hard time, so I could just relax and leave him be.. right?

Nevertheless, I was late for today's practice, since Callie came to talk to me on my way to the running track. She seemed nervous when she asked for my number and if I wanted to do something with her tomorrow. 

Callie was beautiful and she was nice, so I said yes. I mean, why not? What do I have to lose? Besides, she would fit in the perfect image my mom wanted the Romero-Pérez family to have. 

I was strolling towards the track, when Cody ran past me. He didn't seem to notice me even though I was so close he nearly ran over me. Then he stopped and started cursing so abruptly I jumped two feet in the air. I just stood there gaping at him while he kicked a bin and cursed. 

"What the fuck are you staring at?" Cody shouted as soon as he spotted me and I could hear from his voice how distressed he was and I could see he was on the verge of tears. I opened my mouth to ask him what was wrong, but before I could say anything, he was already running away.

Okay, so, maybe I did have a little reason to worry about Cody after all. Surely he knew how to be annoying as hell, but what if he actually was that way for a good reason?

But if someone was giving him a hard time, could it really be my fault? Could I really have started all that with one little stupid decision?

***

On Saturday morning I made plans with my mom. Ever since the divorse we have had this habit of spending at least one day a week doing something together. Usually we went to a restaurant, but sometimes mom made me go to art exhibitions or theatre. 

This Saturday my plan was to have dinner in a nearby restaurant with my mom and then proceed the evening with Callie. I'm not sure if it was a date, but she wanted to watch some new romantic comedy in the movie theatre and that did sound a bit like a date to me. I was truly hoping I would start developing feelings for Callie at some point.

I dressed up in a simple white button up shirt and jeans, as a compromise of mom wanting me to dress up and me not wanting to look too polished. I know, we had the perfect Romero-Pérez family image to keep, but I was still just a regular guy.

"Honey, are you ready soon?" I could hear Sienna's voice from the kitchen. It wasn't like she was the one we had been waiting for.. and for what? She was a stunning woman — or at least that's what they said in the magazines — yet she couldn't leave home without an hour-long making up session and trying on five different outfits. 

"Yeah, mom, I've been ready for like an hour or so." I pointed out smiling. She was in the kitchen, looking as fine as ever and she smiled back at me.

"Let's get going then, I'm starving." She said and kissed my forehead. Then we took a taxi to the restaurant, although it wasn't that far away. 

Whereas mom would have preferred some fine dining restaurant, I was ravenous and I insisted on having real food instead. So we chose a small Italian restaurant, which I could describe with one simple word: cozy. 

Its interior was a mixture of rustic looking concrete and dark wooden surfaces, there was a lot of natural light from the big windows and there were plants everywhere. I was pleased to see it wasn't like all those corny red and white interiors most of the Italian restaurants seemed to have.

"Maybe we should find some other place?" I I suggested as I looked around in the crowded restaurant. Mom didn't seem to care about my suggestion, but instead walked right in. 

"Mom, I don't think there's any vacant.." My voice trailed off as I spotted a familiar head full of curly dark hair. I didn't think twice before I was already walking towards him. 

"Hey, Cody. I just wanted to ask if you're okay?" I asked him, thinking about the scene I had witnessed yesterday. 

"Like you'd —" Cody began with a scowl on his face, but he was interrupted by a woman I recognized as his mom.

"Isn't it Ian Romero? And Sienna Pérez?" Cody's mom asked and waved at us. Mom walked to their table and started talking with Cody's parents.

"Don't you dare to —" Cody opposed in a low voice, but yet again he was cut short.

"Why don't you join us?" It was Cody's dad this time. Before I knew it, mom was already taking a seat from their table. 

Well, this was going to be.. interesting

♡♡♡

Question of the day:
Happy endings or sad endings?

(Me: In horror movies sad endings, but otherwise _definitely_ happy endings. I feel like there's enough unfairness and sadness in the world around us, so I really need something to feel good about.)