Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The feeling of fear evaporated, guilt and worry mixing together as I left my village home and entered reality. I was surrounded by the enforcers, who were waiting for me to even breathe too hard before they killed me.

In front of me was Prince Gordon, clutching his face as if that would cause the endless bleeding to cease. One of the enforcers had handed him their jacket, eyes slit and warily on me. He had every right, as this was all my fault.

I shouldn't have let the situation get to me. I should've stayed in reality and watched for Kai to come back or wait for any sign of danger. Instead, I foolishly fell back in time and thought I was still there, about to die. I had meant to hurt the men who had slaughtered my leap, not the one who showed compassion towards us.

"Ivy? Are you alright?"

My eyes turned towards the voice and it was Prince Gordon asking, as if he wasn't in pain. I started towards him, but the enforcers instantly started yelling at me and pointing their weapons in my direction. I ended up curled as closely to the foliage behind me, my ears flattened against my skull, tail twitching, as I watched them.

Prince Gordon took note of this and frowned before saying, "Leave, all of you. I will be fine without your assistance. Make sure everyone in the village is taken care of." The enforcers were hesitant, but they all left, throwing glances back at the two of us.

"Come here, dear. I will not cause you harm," He said, his voice soft as if that was what I was afraid of. I didn't fear for my safety, but for his. I didn't want to hurt him when my emotions were still awry.

But he continued to coax me over, beckoning me over with his free hand.

I crawled over to him, my ears still flat and my tail tucked in between my legs. I finally made my way to him and he lifted my chin, his soft green eyes on my own.

I could see worry stirring within them, along with anger. Was he angry at me for attacking him? He had every right to be.

"I remember specifically telling you to stay within the castle, Ivy. Why did you disobey me, hm?" he asked firmly, and I responded by moving my chin from his hand and rubbing my head along it, desiring comfort.

He understood immediately and ran his hand along my fur, his fingers travelling a hidden path on my back before making their way back to my head and starting over. It may have not seemed like much to him, but his touch comforted me and kept me from shutting down once again, escaping reality. He was what kept me here, away from the village and leap within my mind.

It should have been the other way around. I should've been comforting my päästja, whom I'd harmed, and asking him if he was okay. I wasn't the one who was supposed to be comforted, yet that's exactly what was happening.

He suddenly pulled away and I started to protest, but he spoke. "Perhaps we should get you clothed before the others come here. I think it would be best if you could explain to me what happened," he said and I watched as Prince Gordon began taking off his suit jacket as he stood up.

Then he began unbuttoning the soft green collared shirt and I found myself abruptly turning around, looking at the ground. I was sure if I were human, I would've blushed. I knew if I continued looking at Prince Gordon, it would only result in trouble.

The shirt was placed on the ground next to me and I had to keep myself from looking at the body that belonged to the hand. "Put this on, dear; I will give you as much privacy as I can," he said before I heard his footsteps descend.

I turned around to see he'd put back on the suit jacket and had his back to me, still holding the enforcer's jacket to his face. I shifted and within moments I grabbed the shirt and put it on, noting that it ended past my knees and that the sleeves were much too big.