Chapter Seven

This is dedicated to Googlegirl8, who is amazing and gets to rub it in her friends' faces.

It just hit me that this story has barely started and it already has nearly 12 thousand reads!!! You guys are more incredible than you realize, each of you. Also, due to a few of the readers, they've created a "fandom" for the series. You're all part of the "Gordon Family"! Make sure to put your ship names below so I can keep track and put them in the following chapters :)

Chapter Seven

Dinner was pleasant, although I mainly watched the Gordon's interact with one another. It was certainly different than a leap's family dinner, that much I was certain of.

When we had family dinners, the table was much longer, and everyone had to squeeze together to fit. There was never a moment of silent to be found, not that anyone complained. Laughter would surround us as a playful bickering joined, followed by idle chatter. The dinners would last long after everyone was done each time. The leap held family dinners at least once a week, sometimes more.

I wasn't too sure what the Gordon family was having. I didn't think they understood the concept of laughter, much less how to. The table was filled with more silence than chatter and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable at the frigid atmosphere.

"Dinner was lovely, Mrs. Gordon. How'd you come up with such a divine meal?" I asked, regretting it when her eyes filled with shock before she studied me. Had I done something wrong?

Her husband nudged her lightly and she blinked before looking at her plate. "It was so long ago that I don't remember. It's Cayne's favorite," she said, adding the last part after a discrete encouragement from her husband.

"Well, I see why! I've attempted to cook a similar roast, but it ended up as hard as a rock. I almost felt bad for insisting that Kai take a bite," I supplied, my eyes lighting up when Prince Gordon laughed under his breath. Even Mr. Gordon was attempting to hide a smile.

"Perhaps you should not venture near the kitchen in the future," Prince Gordon teased and I huffed at him, but there was a smile on my face.

"I should get to washing the dishes," Mrs. Gordon said, but I immediately got up, grabbing everyone's plates before she could say anything.

"I'll do it. You shouldn't have to cook and clean," I said, the expression on her face conveying that she didn't know what to make of me.

I wasn't naïve; I knew she wasn't fond of my kind, just like the rest of the world. But both her and her husband wanted to change that, whether they were conscious of it or not. How did I come to this conclusion? I'd come to it because I was still alive.

They could've killed our entire leap and nothing would've changed for them. Yet, Kai and I were still alive and well, a budding hope for our kind. Showing them kindness would help them realize they had made the right choice.

"That was very considerate of you."

I turned in response, seeing Prince Gordon leaning against the doorframe, watching me. It was as if he didn't know what to make of me either.

"I was the dish cleaner in the house because I certainly couldn't cook," I explained, shrugging. Cleaning dishes had simply been another daily chore.

"My mother does not enjoy others that are not immediate family. However, I believe you made quite the impression on her," he said and I looked out the kitchen, glancing where Mr. and Mrs. Gordon were sitting.

I found myself smiling as I watched them. Her head was resting on his shoulder, a content look in her eyes as his land lazily played with her hair. Every now and then he would whisper to her and a smile would find its way onto her face.