Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Kai's tail was busy flicking back and forth, revealing both his impatience and anxiety, when we finally heard a pair of voices advancing towards us.

"What else is on my schedule today, Martin?" A commanding voice asked, sounding simultaneously soft.

"There's two Shifters in your office, Master Gordon. Your parents believed you were suitable for the animals since you're next in line to take their place as the Human Representation," Martin replied, giving a name to the man who would determine if we were killed.

There was an exhale before the smooth voice said, "Have rooms prepared upstairs, where they will be away from danger. Adjoining rooms will most likely give them comfort, but preferably not too close to my own. They are but strangers to me."

"Master, they're filthy-"

"Enough! Do as I say. You did not question me before and you will not now," the voice replied, turning sharp at the hint of disobedience.

"Yes, Master Gordon," Martin finished, his voice small in comparison, before a set of footsteps began descending as they walked away.

Kai and I both perked up as the doorknob turned, our fates once again swaying from staying on the edge of a cliff to falling the second the door opened.

Right when it opened, I was able to see his appearance held as much authority as his voice did. Even the air around him commanded obedience, demanded it. What happened to those who failed to obey? The thought alone caused me to shudder.

The moment his eyes looked upon us, a frown pressed against his face, and I found myself tensing, fearing the worst. He would be just like everyone else. But the closer I looked, the more I realized I was wrong. There was something different about him.

It was his eyes. Most turned a darker shade and spat poison at us, not once giving us a chance to prove ourselves. To most, we were up there with serial killers who didn't deserve the life they were granted. We were disgusting in the worst possible way to most.

His eyes didn't display a speck of that disgust. I searched and searched as hard as I could, but it didn't matter. I could search endlessly and not find that disgust anywhere in those green eyes.

When he neared my cage and knelt down, a snarl erupted from the snow leopard beside me, the sound equally wild and loud. It made the Gordon Prince pause and look over at him.

"I am not going to hurt her. My only desire is to get you both out of these inhuman cages," he murmured, but the snarls didn't stop. I, however, was surprised.

His consideration was rare, something I certainly didn't expect from a Prince. I'd only heard of it from those who claimed not all humans were against us. I hadn't experienced it personally until now.

His knees met the ground, just as his eyes met mine, ignoring the cat beside me. We both stared, for a full minute before his eyes flickered to the cage as it clicked open, surprising me. I didn't think he would actually let us out.

He moved towards Kai's cage, turning his back on me. I could easily make it out the door, but I would never abandon Kai. Even if I would, the enforcers would kill me without a second glance.

"I will open this cage if you do not leave and stop with the mindless noise. The moment you escape this room my guards will not hesitate. You will be killed," he said, but the snow leopard didn't respond.

His ears were pressed flat against his skull in the furthest corner of the cage, his teeth bared in pride at his opponent. His fur was on edge and the snarling continued.