Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

I was currently standing outside, the wind playing with the hem of my dress while I waited for Prince Gordon to arrive.

A carriage stood in front of me, as black as the night was. The two horses leading it were similar in color, both a varying shade of brown. The waited also, their large eyes holding the patience and kindness I strived for.

Enforcers stood along with me, none of them speaking. I would hear the occasional sigh, but nothing more than that. They were tired of waiting, yet the knew there was nothing they could do about it.

I didn't mind the wait. It allowed me time to speak with the shining sun, whose face was as bright as ever. I had been told that it would rain today, however, the sky showed no signs of this promise.

I could finally hear footsteps advancing towards us, one belonging to Martin and the other to my päästja. I turned towards them, watching as Martin began talking, his head held as high as usual.

"Load the carriages," he ordered, and with that, the enforcers were off. They barked orders at one another, some loading into the other carriage, while a couple stayed behind, opening the door for the one we would all be in.

Martin started forward, however, Prince Gordon stopped him with a hand. "You are to go to the second carriage. I will be fine in this one alone," he said, Martin's eyes immediately turning towards me.

"Master, I do not think it is wise to be alone with-" he started, but was only interrupted as Prince Gordon's eyes turned sharp.

"Do as I say or you will not be joining us. Ivy will cause me no harm," he said, and after a moment's hesitation, Martin straightened before sending a glare my way and walking stiffly towards the other carriage.

I thought that would be the end, but I was proven wrong when Prince Gordon gave a slight nod towards the last enforcers. "You can all remain here. You will not be needed."

They looked at one another, unsure or what to do. Even I frowned, wondering whether Prince Gordon was making a wise decision.

"Päästja, what if someone attacks-" I started, but he simply shook his head.

"We will be fine. There is a carriage following with nothing but enforcers," he said firmly, adding, "You are dismissed," to the few enforcers who had still lingered. They all disappeared one by one until only two of us remained.

He walked to the carriage, holding its door open. "After you," he said softly, his eyes on me. I studied him for a moment, deciding not to argue before I went inside, the sun temporarily disappearing.

Prince Gordon followed behind, closing the door. He sat across from me, his eyes looking out the window as if he saw something I could not see. When the carriage began moving si when he let out a sigh, still looking out the window.

"Ivy, we need to talk about what happened."

I remained quiet, knowing his words were true.

It was best to talk about it rather than allow it to fester, mixing together with numerous pent-up emotions until it became something it wasn't and exploded. I knew it would not go well for either one of us it that happened.

He was the first to talk, his eyes finally finding mine. "I do not expect anything from you, my dear. I understand that I was out of place. I will refrain from allowing it to happen again." His words were careful, but they were dry and without emotion in them. For the first time, he spoke to me as if he was speaking to a stranger.