Chapter Thirty Three

A bit short but the next few should make up for it

Chapter Thirty Three

I had never felt like a prisoner more than I did in these past few days.

Prince Gordon did not lie when he said I would not be allowed outside or around others. In fact, I was not allowed to leave my room at all. Food was passed in my room by an enforcer, the tray and silverware taken out by another enforcer when I informed them I was done.

No one came by my room to visit. I assumed Prince Gordon was too busy with the situation at hand to do so. Martin did not come by to deliver any messages or make snide comments. The enforcers did not talk to me which was expected. They simply slid in food without a word and closed the door. I do not think I had ever been so alone in my life.

I was not allowed to do anything but sit in the room, alone with my thoughts yet again. When it is all you are given to do, to chat with yourself, to reflect upon your actions and past, it is not bound to lead to anything good. It sent me spiraling downhill faster than I had thought possible.

I had come to the realization that I should have stopped when given the opportunity. Our kind would still be in the same position it had been in. Kai and I would still be on good terms and rebuilding our village and leap.

But now, our kind's name was likely tainted. They would see us as not only cowards but dangerous as well. Others would be fueled by their rage at us and more determined than ever to wipe the shape-shifters existence out completely. I would be punished for what they believed I did, most likely put to death. Kai would be sent away on his own, without a leap to protect or call his own. This situation was bad for everyone and it was all my fault for believing I could do better.

I could hear a knock on my door, causing confusion to swim with my thoughts. I had just finished my dinner a few moments ago and knew they would not knock again until morning came and breakfast was given to me.

"Ivy, it is me. Get dressed, please." I could feel my spirits lifting at the sound of Prince Gordon's voice while also feeling a bit of dread. I could only hope that he would be delivering good news to me and not bad.

I got dressed and walked out, spotting my päästja standing nearby. He was glancing down at his wrist, where the watch I had given him winked at me. I smiled, pleased he enjoyed my present.

"Does it work, päästja?"I asked, watching as his head lifted and he looked at me. He gave me a brief smile, still appearing a bit distracted.

"I am afraid it does not. But I still have the habit of checking the time. Shall we?" he asked, gesturing forward. I nodded and we walked towards his office, the enforcers silently following behind while Martin was nowhere to be seen.

We arrived at his office, both of us slipping inside silently. This time he did not ask me to sit, only stood there, his eyes looking at everything in the room beside me. I could feel dread sucking the air out of my lungs little by little, like an endless vacuum.

"Prince Gordon, what is going on?" I asked him, my voice a whisper as I was afraid that raising it would only shatter the little bits of hopes I had left, leaving me with reality and nothing else.

"Ivy, it has been decided that it would be best," he paused, his eyes finding mine, guilt flashing through them before they looked down towards the floor. "It would be best to send you and Kai away."

It was truly happening. We would leave, less protected than ever. We were likely to be hunted down by our own kind for ruining the chance and only making things worse. Others would hunt us as they always had. The chance of us living was slimmer with each fact.

"I don't understand. I didn't do it, päästja, I promise. I would never consider such a thing," I exclaimed, my voice growing more and more frantic. I needed for someone, anyone to understand.

I continued babbling and Prince Gordon seemed to realize that it would not stop anytime soon. He pulled me against him, wrapping his arms tightly around me before whispering softly to me. He did so until my words stopped completely as I begin to calm down.

"I know you would not do such a thing, my dear, but it is not that easy. The public is scared now. They were looking for a reason to dislike you and they have been given it. They are now questioning and threatening me. I would ignore it if I could but it would do more harm than good. I cannot do anything at this moment," he explained, his words making sense, yet they did not make me feel better.

He pulled away, startling me. I frowned but did not say anything. "I was not near them at the time. How are they so sure it was me?" I questioned, causing him to sigh.

"There were witnesses claiming to see you. Martin was present at the time and said while he did not see you, he did see the leopard. He claims the leopard looked exactly as you did when you are a cat." I frowned deeper, not understanding. They had no clear evidence.

"I am a leopardess, Prince Gordon. There is nothing unique about my fur that could lead to it being me. It could have been any shape-shifter than has the ability to shift into a leopard," I said, stepping towards him. I froze once he took a step back, hurt running through me.

"Päästja?" I said, his eyes flicker with pain before they looked at me.

"Did you make up your mind, Ivy?" he asked, confusing me. I did not understand his question until I realized he was asking if my feelings were in order. He wanted to know whether I had decided about him and Kai.

"Päästja," I started but he lightly waved my words away, silencing me.

"It does not matter, I suppose," he said with a sad smile on his face. "Martin informed me that he saw the two of you close when you visited my brother's palace. He said that you two appeared to be more friendly than ever and were embracing intimately. Is this my answer??" he asked, his voice still holding a thread of hope.

Anger flashed through me, fueling my words. "Martin is a liar and a madu. I would not do so, not when I told you that I needed to understand my feelings," I spat, but it did not seem to change his mind.

"Martin does not have a reason to lie to me and has never done so, Ivy. I do not see what he would gain by doing so now," Prince Gordon said and I knew I would not get anywhere. How do you explain to someone that the person they trusted so dearly was not as they seem when you had no evidence?

"I would not lie, päästja," I tried, but it was useless. His eyes only flickered once again.

"You will be leaving tomorrow morning with Kai. I am deeply sorry that I have wasted your time and that I am not able to be your päästja for longer."

He walked out before I had the chance to tell him that he always would be.

Päästja - (savior)

Madu - (snake)