Chapter Thirty Six

Next part won't be a chapter just a mini update on what's left for the story! Sorry for the shortness I cannot write action scenes to save my life WHICH is something I hope to improve on when I edit this later :---))))

Chapter Thirty Six

The sun had long ago disappeared, the moon showing up to keep a watchful eye on all of the world. The stars were her assistants, twinkling and shining as they gathered new information, informing her of all the sights and changes. Had they noted Kai and me?

I was now inside one of the newly constructed houses, Kai lying beside me. Martin had dragged him into the building carelessly, thrusting a few towels towards me, explaining that Kai couldn't die before his friends arrived as it would not look good. I was still pressed against him, hours later, afraid that if I moved in the slightest that his heart would abruptly stop its slow pace.

Oddly enough, the house was in the very position where my own had been. Kai's was nearby and I had spent the time talking softly to him, reminding him of all the memories we shared in both houses. He had not responded, but hearing his breathing, feeling his chest move, was enough to satisfy me.

It was not soon before the silence turned into roaring engines, then into excited chattering. I could hear laughter and smiles, their excitement swirling with the wind, mixing and heightening my fear as it reached us. Kai and I did not have much time left.

I knew now was our chance to escape. They were distracted by one another and the "thrill" of what was to happen tonight. Kai and I could possibly escape through the windows, preferably the kitchen window which faced away from the humans lurking nearby. It was perhaps our best and only chance.

I looked down at the sleeping lumeleopard, wondering if he would make it far. I shook him lightly, relief spreading through my veins when his eyes fluttered open, filled with murky confusion before they focused on me.

"Kai, we need to leave. Now. Can you shift?" I asked, watching as his eyes flickered and his body tightened. Shortly after, he relaxed against me, shaking his head.

I hesitated, looking around before speaking again. "It is okay. I am going to lift you," I explained quietly, slowly attempting to pick up the large lumeleopard.

Despite my caution, he still growled at me, conveying his pain. I would respond by whispering apologies to him, promising that it would be over soon. It was a slow process, but we made it into the kitchen, the room farthest from their viewpoint.

I gently placed Kai on the counter, a window right above it. "We are going to be fine," I whispered absentmindedly, leaning over the counter to open the window before I quietly peered out of it.

I could spot a wolf walking around the house slowly, their ears flickering every now and then. The other two were doing the same, their paws touching the soft ground loud enough for me to detect. I leaned back inside, knowing the best way to handle this.

"Kai, I am going to shift and run out. They'll chase after me-" but he did not allow me to finish, his deep growl cutting me off. I bit my tongue to keep from shushing him, knowing it would not work.

"We don't have any other option! You're useless right now and we cannot stay. We either do this or we stay and die," I snapped back, his eyes narrowing before he attempted to get up. I watched as he struggled for a bit before only managing to sit up.

"I am doing this. You leave after," I whispered, pressing my lips to his head before quickly shifting.

Kai growled lightly at me, attempting to block the window when I jumped onto the counter, joining him. I ignored my instinct to submit, lightly pushing him back. It was something I would never consider had the situation been different. But now was not the time to worry about respect.

I quickly jumped out the window, ignoring Kai's growls behind me. The moment the pads of my paws brushed against the ground, the wolves turned towards me, one sending a chilling and long howl into the night's air.

I ran towards the forest, hearing the laughter turn into yelling in the distance. I could feel the wind whining around me, desperately urging me to run faster and that was what I did. However, so did the wolves.

It was quiet for such a suspenseful moment, the only sounds being the lighting touch of paws as the gliding against the dirt before pushing us forward. I had managed gain a head start at first, however, over time they had begun lessening the gap between them and me.

I could feel the tension rising as they began snapping their teeth at me, the sound growing too close for comfort. I tried picking up speed only to fail. It was when I stumbled over a tree's root that I made a mistake, possibly costing me my life.

I could feel one of the wolves jump on my back, both of us rolling to the ground. I yelped at the pain, attempting to get the wolf off. However, he remained on, growling as his teeth sunk deeper into my shoulder, ignoring my snarls.

I rammed us both into a tree, hearing a snapping sound before a yip, the weight on my back disappearing. I briefly looked down in time to see the wolf was either passed out or dead, decided it was best to try leaving instead of figuring out which it was.

Before I could run off, a second wolf attacked, the third checking on the unconscious wolf. The two of us fought, snarls, growls and snapping filling the night's silence.

The wolf made the mistake of hesitating, giving me the chance to jump on it, my fangs sinking into its neck. Blood begin filling my mouth, the wolf underneath me squirming, looking for an exit. But I remained on him, unyielding.

However, just when I thought it was over, I could hear a familiar voice calling my name in the distance, causing me to glance away.

The final wolf took its opportunity, attacking, and it was not long before the world and everything I knew faded away.