Chapter 6

Olivia Denver's POV:

Brownie and Creep jolt me awake from a beautiful dream of meeting Sherlock Holmes. "Wake up, Olive. We need to go."

I jump on my feet. "What happened?"

"An evil soul is killing many at a restaurant. Laura is already gone there," informs Creep.

"Oh. Laura is gone. That's why I don't see her here," Brownie reconciles. Creep gives him a look.

We rush to a green vintage car and Creep takes the driver seat. Brownie opens the front door. "You two go in the back. It's for Laura." Creep points at the vacant seat beside him.

We two settle in the backseat. "Didn't you say she's gone?" asks Brownie.

"Yes, but she may come back."

"Can she teleport too?" Brownie chuckles.

"Yes," Creep replies. Brownie's face frowns and he looks out of the window.

Creep keeps the wheels turning at top speed even around the corners. I enjoy the wild ride while Brownie scoffs at each turn. "We don't wanna join the ghost club too."

I see a map in the car's screen display that blinks a green dot. Navigation is set to it as a destination point. "That's the restaurant's location?" I ask.

"Yes. The green dot represents Laura."

"Great. You've implanted a GPS chip in your ghost girlfriend's body," says Brownie making a Duckface.

"No. It's like a phone tracker."

Brownie takes out his phone. "Then let me just call her and we'll know what's happening."

"It won't work. A ghost's voice is at a different frequency that won't be captured by traditional phones."

"No worries. I'll video call her."

"That won't work either. It's a special kind of phone."

"You mean you couldn't buy her a smartphone," Brownie says mockingly and puts his phone back into his pocket. Creep stares at him.

A turn comes in the road and Creep jumps on the accelerator. The door gets opened and Brownie's upper body gets out to swim in the chill air. I pull him back and yell, "Careful, creep."

We reach the restaurant in minutes. I step out and walk towards it. A large glass wall has a big splash of blood and it drips downwards. I turn to the road and vomit.

Brownie pats on my back. "You don't have to fear the blood. Think of it as tomato sauce."

As I stand straight, he takes the lead and enters the restaurant.

With two girl's bodies near the entrance, the whole floor of the room is covered in blood. "So much blood. It's like Deadpool." I say in a low tone.

"Stop giving superhero references, Olive. We're looking for a villain." Brownie shushes me.

He walks inside and opens a door. His face gets covered with a blood splash. A boy's head lands on his chest and he catches it with his hands. Taking a look he jerks it out of his hand and vomits.

I rush to the door and see a teenage boy holding a knife to his own throat. "No. No, Don't do that."

I advance my hand a little but he slits his throat. I close my eyes and turn my head towards the floor. A splash covers my left ear.

Brownie comes with a towel and wipes the left side of my face. "Are you okay, Olive?"

"Yes. I'm a bit glad that it killed male and female in equal proportion." He and Creep stare at me scowling. While I wonder why there shouldn't be gender neutrality in everything?

I take my phone out and start taking pictures of bodies. Whenever I got close to a body I could sniff a familiar smell. "It's the smell of DMSP," I announce to others.

"Care to explain, Olive?"

"Dimethylsulfoniopropionate. It's released by phytoplankton and other bacterias of an ocean," explains Creep, surprising me.

"Yes, right. See this." I take a sip of a glass of water that looks a bit yellowish. "It tastes like saltwater too." I put the glass down. "I think the killer is a fisherman."

"Or the soul of a fisherman. Laura says she was hearing two voices from that boy." Creep points towards the boy who slits his own throat.

"Guys look at that." Brownie points towards a camera lurking in the corner towards us.

We walk into the CCTV room and play the footage. Three girls and two boys were celebrating a birthday. When the place got almost empty except for this group, they started the competition of finishing drinks in one go.

When dozens of bottles got emptied, they were out of control. Falling on different glass round tables whenever they stood up for getting more drinks. An old man seemed like the owner yelled at all.

They all settled around their table stopping their madness. But as the clock ticked 3, something shook the boy's body hard. He got up and came back with a knife and then started the bloodbath.

"The killer is not a human. It is a ghost." I reconcile and turn to Brownie. "Had you sniffed the same smell at that time? Think hard."

He walks near a dead body. Closing his eyes he takes in the smell. He opens his eyes and turns towards me, "Yes. But what does that mean?"

"It means the ghost is that old. When was it?" asks Creep.

"It's been more than 3 months now." Brownie replies. "Maybe we should first get out of here cause cops will be on their way too."

"Yes, you're right. Let's go." I say and walk out of the CCTV room. As the exit gate comes into view, shreiking police sirens starts. We rush to the door and it jolts open.

"Hands up," Two cops point their guns at us. "What the hell are you three doing here?"

"Actually we are four," Brownie corrects.