Chapter 9

Danny Brown's POV:

"That's good news. We'll have to solve only one case now." I reconcile.

"No, Brownie. It's the worst news. That ghost is using the necklace's power," says Olive in a terrified tone.

"What? How can you be so sure?" I ask confused.

"Saltwater and ocean smell at all those places. It got there even without the killer's body. This act must have required enormous strength which came from the necklace," explains Creep.

I let it sink in me for a moment and then nod in agreement.

"You're really good in your field," says Olive looking at Creep.

"You too," Creep says and looks at her. Their eyes lock into each other and they smile. They look like a good pair.

What the hell am I saying? She is mine. I run and stand in between them like a wall. I put a hand over Olive's shoulder. Before it turns weird I prompt, "So how do we catch the killer/thief?"

She jerks her shoulder and my hand slides down. "That we'll have to figure out together," she says, turning to Creep.

"Yeah yeah together." I put my hands over both of their shoulders. "Let's go home then."

We walk a few steps towards the exit. But suddenly Creep jerks away my hand and turns back. His nickname fits him aptly I guess.

"I need your help, detective." His voice goes in my background. Olive turns in haste and rushes towards him.

I wish someday she'll rush to me like that when I call her.

He puts the glass pieces into a transparent plastic bag that she holds. The pieces seem wet probably by saltwater.

"Thank you so much detective," Creep says, putting the bag in his pocket.

Flatterer!! I feel insecurity from him that only doubles when she says, "My pleasure."

"What will you do with that?" I ask him.

"These store traces of the killer. It'll help locate him," he replies.

"Like fingerprints? Does a ghost have that?"

"Not exactly. Every ghost has its unique energy signature. When it touches anything it leaves a trace of its energy," he explains while I scratch my head.

"Potential Energy?" asks Olive.

He turns to her, "Absolutely right, Detective. You surprise me."

She looks at him smiling and their longing gaze starts again. Ah! It feels so irritating. "How are you gonna locate him?" I interrupt again.

"I have equipment at my place. I'll need one human volunteer though," he says.

"I'll go," I prompt, raising my hand.

"Okay. I'll check the list of dead people from 3 months old. Maybe I'll identify him," says Olive.

"Sounds good. We'll get to know why he is doing it," he says and turns to me. "Let's go." We two pad towards the exit.

"I'll take Luara with me," says Olive, tapping on her earpiece.

I turn and whisper in her other ear. "She's a ghost and can teleport anywhere in a blink. You know that right?"

"I still heard that," says Laura in my earpiece.

I feel my heart squeezing. I turn back quickly and follow Creep to his car. He ignites the engine and drives like a maniac.

The car stops its wild zigzag run in a while. A two storey large house appears in front. With neat white walls and shiny glass windows it looks even better than my house.

"Ghosthunting business is thriving these days. It's not seasonal right?" I ask stepping out of his car.

"It is seasonal actually. Feb is the peak month," he replies.

"Why is that so?"

"Love month. People kill and die mostly out of jealousy."

He speaks about a general phenomenon but I don't know why it feels like he's pointing me out.

Stepping in a large hall I notice one of my untied shoelaces. I bend down and tie it. As soon as I raise my head, I see a devil in front of me. The devil has claw-like teeth bulging out from the corners of its mouth.

I look around for Creep but he has disappeared already. I see the trap set by him clearly. Feb month it is and the creep is killing me out of jealousy. He's bored out of his Ghost girlfriend and wants my Olive.

But I'll not go down without a fight.

I stand up straight quickly. The devil attacks me, his claw-like teeth land on my shoulder. I grip him by his neck and put all my strength to squeeze it but it doesn't as if made of steel.

A tap goes on my backhead. "It's a statue, Danny," says Creep.

I let my hands slide down from its neck. Huh! It's actually made of steel. I make it stand back straight. "Yeah. I know. I was just seeing what it's made of," I say smiling.

He turns back and pads. I follow him through the big hall with paintings on the wall mostly of Satans & Devils. He stops near a door and advances a red bowl towards me probably requiring my blood for some ritual.

"Get rid of all electronic devices," he demands. I put my phone & earpiece into it and he opens the door.

The room looked like a Google's data center with big CPUs and colored lights blinking in it at places. He instructs me to run and sweat to press many buttons while he seats near a large PC screen peacefully.

He puts the glass pieces into a small glass box and computer chimes with big text Searching over the world map. He turns towards me, "We'll get him soon."

I nod sluggishly.

"You get quite uncomfortable seeing me around the detective."

"Is it that obvious?"

He nods. "Look. I don't have any hideous intent with her. I love Laura more than myself."

"Really? She's a ghost. Doesn't it bother you not being able to touch her, do a million other things like a normal couple do?"

"If you truly love someone their flaws won't matter."

Is he again pointing at me? I mean should I overlook Olive's flaw: non cooperative behaviour?