⚠️ NR - It's my job.

Warning: angst
———————————————————————
Callie:
"Callie, get your ass back here right now," my girlfriend demands with a firm hand on my wrist.

I look back at the mercenaries running away then back at Nat. "I have to."

"No, you won't make it."

"Yes, I will. Please, I can't let them get away."

"There are other ways. Let us find them again."

"Why should we find other ways when I could get them right now?" I try to get out of her grip but she grabs my hand with her other hand to stop me.

"It's not safe!"

"This job isn't safe!" I beg, glancing at the men who are getting further by the second. "Let me take them in! I'll be fine!"

"No, I-" Before she can finish her argument, I rip out of her grip and run away. "Callie stop!" I can hear her running after me so I speed up, sprinting as fast as I possibly can.

I watch the mercs climb the roof of a taller building in the near distance. Knowing I won't make it if I wait, I pick the closest building and scale the side of it with ease. When on the roof, I continue the chase, Nat still following my tail. As I near the edge of my building, I prepare for the jump. I know Nat won't like what I'm about to do but I have no choice. With one strong push, I leap off the edge of the building, using my wisps to project me further. I land on the next roof over with a roll. One more building to go then I can catch them. One problem: they're getting onto a small jet. I jump onto the next building.

As I'm nearing the small jet, the mercs start taking off. Shit. I catch them right before they're out of reach and, having no other option, I jump up, grabbing the landing skids of the plane. Since they're not going that fast, my weight brings it down so my feet are on the building. Once my feet are planted firmly on the cement landing pad of the building, I grip the landing skids of the plane with both hands. Using every ounce of strength I have, I pull them back down as they refute my moves by attempting to fly away.

I scream out, partly in pain since holding back a plane that's taking off hurts but mostly to try to give myself more strength. With the tiny plane's skids in my hands still, I slowly take heavy steps backward, bringing the plane with me.

"I have them!" I scream into my com.

"Where are you?" Steve asks.

"Northeast rooftop of the warehouse!" I call, wishing I could give them a better description.

"On our way. Don't do anything stupid," Tony responds.

"Way too late!"

I continue to yell out as I fight back against the plane that's still trying to take off. I just have to hold on until the team gets here. Whenever that is. All of a sudden, a small window is being opened and gunshots are being fired. It's at this moment that I am so glad my suit is bulletproof. The bullets hit me but don't do much, I just feel the hard pressure of them being fired at me from such a short distance.

Finally, after what feels like a lifetime, Cap's shield comes crashing through the plane's windows. Bad for me though because the plane instantly comes falling towards me. I let go and tuck and roll out of the way.

"You couldn't have given me a heads up?" I breathe to Cap as he's catching his shield.

"Sorry, you alright?"

"Yeah, fine."

Tony comes flying down and lands on top of one of the mercenaries, locking his hands behind his back with electronic handcuffs. Steve grabs another and handcuffs him, Sam flying down and grabbing the final merc. As I'm sitting on the ground, catching my breath, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up to see an angry Nat.

"You're fucking stupid," she scolds.

"I got them, didn't I?"

"You almost died."

"What's new?"

She helps me to my feet and dusts me off, checking what's exposed of my body for injuries.

"Good work, Callie," Steve praises.

I just nod and we all head home after calling for backup to collect the mercs.

-

In our room, I immediately disable my suit and collapse onto the bed.

"Fuck, I'm so tired," I moan.

"Why don't you ever listen to me?" Nat asks, sitting next to me on the bed and poking my wounds.

"Beca-" I hiccup when she touches an especially painful spot. "Because shit needs to be done and you can't keep me from everything."

"I'm trying to protect you."

"I know. But it's my job. I need you to let me do my job at least sometimes."

"So sometimes is my bottom line. Got it."

I roll my eyes with a smile fighting to form. "Nat, I can handle things. I love that you want to protect me but I'll be okay."

"Tell that to this." She pokes at my neck where there's a dark bruise around it from when one of the mercs choked me half to death, causing me to wince.

"You don't have to poke me. I think I know where I got hurt," I smile.

"You know what sucks about your neck getting hurt?"

"What? The fact that it hurts to breathe?"

"No, the fact that now I can't make those marks," she smirks, butterflies filling my stomach.

"You want a job? It's basically the same as what you're asking for."

Nat furrows her eyebrows. "I like jobs."

"I got hit. I-"

"You what?" Nat almost screams.

"Woah, relax. It's not that bad. Sorta."

"Where?"

I smirk then pull down my shorts, exposing a gash on my thigh. Nat's eyes go wide at my bloody leg.

"What the hell?!" she freaks, rushing to get our first aid kid.

"Well, I think it hurts so bad that it's numb," I smile.

"This is nothing like I'm asking for, by the way."

"Isn't it? I'm half-naked on our bed."

"Bleeding out. Not how I would like you to be naked on our bed." She gently tends to my wound and I try not to cry out in pain. "Next mission, you're letting me take the dangerous shit." She lifts my leg and wraps it in gauze.

"Sure. When you can stop a plane from taking off with your bare hands, lift 800 pounds over your head, wear a vibranium suit, move things with your mind-"

"Okay, I get it. You're better than me," she teases sarcastically. Nat carefully places my leg back down on the bed.

"I'm just saying," I shrug. "I care about you and don't want to see you getting hurt."

"And I don't want you getting hurt!"

"But if I die, I can just walk it off. Arguing with you hurts my wounds so can we save it?"

"Fine. We'll continue this tomorrow." Nat lightly pecks my lips before laying next to me in bed after getting changed. She reads her book while I allow myself to drift off to sleep. It's been a long day.