CHAPTER XV

Eris

Ruth's hand was on the verge of breaking my fingers when we winnowed inside of my quarters. I shook my hand free and she crossed her arms over her chest, the clothes from the Night Court fitting her more than necessary.

"You aren't fond of winnowing?" I asked, lifting a brow as the female darted her eyes across my study.

"No." Ruth said flatly. 

Her wolfdog puffed, dropping to the carpeted floor as his mistress sauntered for the bookshelf closest to her. I forced myself to look away from the exposed muscles of her back and strode for the table in front of a wide, arched window looking at the waterfall tipping over the ancient rocks at the foot of the tower.

I reached to open the top drawer of the table when her smooth voice swam through the room. "Where are we? And don't tell me, the Forest House. Because I am well aware of that." she added sharply before I could even open my mouth to answer.

Her tone lacked the fear and respect I was used to, and I couldn't decide if that annoyed me or entertained me. As I took out a thin silver chain with a triple moon pendant, I stared at the female while she slid her fingers over the thick spines of books.

"We are currently in my quarters. We'll be heading to the throne room for you to meet the court in a minute, though." I replied, rounding the table and making my way toward her.

Her canine made no move against me as I stopped beside her. Her eyes the color of peridots flicked to me in alarm, her full lips painted in soft pink tightening. Her gaze zeroed on the necklace swinging from my fingertips.

"You need to have this at all times. Preferably at sleep, as well." I explained.

"Why? Is that supposed to be a gift you gave me?" she said. The corners of her mouth curled up as she sneered, "A symbol of your love for me?"

My jaw flexed. "Yes, and no. This necklace is casted with a spell which will glamour your scent. Make it draw less attention." 

When I asked her what she was two days ago, she said she was High Fae, like me. However, her pungent scent of ash and ancient magic would doubtlessly have an effect on the members of Beron's court, not to mention Beron himself. Questions would be asked, rumours about a possible witch in the Forest House might surface. That was the last I needed.

Two days ago, once Ruth and I established our deal, I met with Cassian and Rhysand in the Hewn City – Court of Nightmares as they called it – we discussed the still-spreading plague of darkness across our courts and the Summer Court. After that was dealt with, Rhysand handed me the box full of clothes famous throughout his homeland. When they asked why I needed it, I had given the males the same explanation I gave my brother when I went to Lucien in order to have that necklace enchanted the day before.

Without it, an innocent female will fall into the tortures of my father. 

It was all they needed to hear before doing as I requested. And the worse thing was, I hadn't been lying.

Ruth's eyes narrowed before she met mine. "And what am I going to smell like? Rotten mushrooms?"

I smirked. Leaning closer to her, the front strands of my hair graced against her temple as I chided, "More like an ugly toad."

Ruth snorted, stared at my face for a moment, then turned her back to me. My breath caught when my knuckles caressed her velvet-soft skin and I felt as if a lightning bolted through me. The silver chain gilded against her neck as I fought to secure the clasp. My thumb kept slipping off the damn thing, making my blood boil with frustration.