CHAPTER XXXIV

Eris

Rain poured and battered across the clear glass of the windows which made the whole wall at my right, and despite the cool wind whistling outside, the training room was heated. With fury and agrression, as well as the flames which danced through the air with every new sweep of my brother's blades. Where Hital adored his straight twin blades, I preferred my curved sirohi, the long sword perfect for simple practice considering its dull outter edge of the blade. Seated between one of the tall, arching windows, my second remaining brother ran his hand through his short red hair, his amber eyes surveying Hital and me as we spun across the center of vast training room.

After the funeral, Beron decided to hold a meeting of the court. It was certainly among the most infuriating two hours I'd experienced in a long while. Princess Duana made sure to sit close to me at the table, and it took too much effort not to twist her leg at a wrong angle after the fifteenth time she'd rubbed her foot against the side of my calf. Thankfully, my brothers were too occupied with a whispering of their own to add to my frustration.

However, the memory of the female's face was enough to put too much force into my kick when I swung my leg in an arc and sent my foot into Hital's ribs. There was an almost inaudible crack before Hital dropped to the floor, sweat evaporating from his skin as he panted and small bronze flames slithered along his shoulders and arms. From the windows now behind me, Elfoso didn't bother to stiffle his cold chuckle at our youngest brother's pain and failure.

''Don't take it to heart, chota bhai. Eris here hasn't seen his beloved since last night.'' Elfoso drawled.

When I glanced at him over my sweat-damp shoulder, the bastard was nonchalantly cleaning his nails with his dagger, a loopsided smile on his face. My fingers curled tighter around the steel, floral hilt of the sirohi.

''Keep running your mouth and you'll be in no better shape.'' I muttered, my voice tight and slightly breathless.

Now on his knees with one hand covering the already-blooming bruise along his ribs, Hital spat out a laugh. Elfoso hissed and threw his dagger, the blade carving into the wooden floor inches from Hital, making the fool laugh harder. I rolled my eyes and sighed, face tipping toward the high ceiling.

However, as Elfoso's words lingered in my mind, I found myself recalling the gentle feel of Ruth's calloused fingers, the serene sensation of laying on her chest as it rose and fell in deep, steady breaths. The candid, curious way she always seemed to look at me flashed in my vision, the sight of those stunning green eyes easing a wave of mild warmth into my face. I was so used to fear, distaste, loathing, yet she ...

What is the point of it all, if there is no one to fight for?, I'd asked her this early morning. I didn't know what I expected her answer to be. Maybe a confession that she indeed had someone; not a lover but someone her heart and soul longed for, someone she was fighting and doing all of this for. And though that thought, whenever it crossed my mind, was followed by the selfish need to have something to pose a wall between us – between me and what I had begun to feel for her – her answer lifted a painful weight from my chest.

For myself. For my survival. For my future.

A loud yelp from nearby made me jerk free of my thoughts and look to my right. My mouth hung slightly as I stared at the two males tackling each other over the floor, punching at each other's faces and shoving blades at one another's throats; idiots.

''I certainly hope that is not how the rest of the Autumn Court fights,'' came a taunting female voice. ''Because the only way the enemy could die is from laughter by witnessing such skill.''

Elfoso and Hital paused, the latter freezing where he held one of Hital's swords against his throat. My head whipped around, my whole body turning toward the double doors a tenth of yards away.