Chapter Four

Haywire

'Mine fell and I didn't want to get shot again'

{Jayden's Perspective}

I stood next to Mom as she talked to Chrissy. I held my umbrella up high to keep my blue dye from washing out further. I've never been interested in football but I always came to Jon's games, usually I had Jordan with me to converse with but seeing as both my brothers were playing I tried my best to find out what was happening.

"The town votes tomorrow on whether to grant him mining rights, so he's visiting all the spots, letting everyone see him as this man of the people, pretending like he's actually gonna pump money into this area" Lois said to Chrissy, glaring in Morgan Edge's direction.

I looked around the stands trying to see Morgan Edge. "Mom?" I gasped, nudging her hard in the stomach. "Jay? What's wrong?" Mom asked me. I kept looking at him as he walked up the stands. "Boy, they really pack them in here, huh?" Grandpa said as he stood next to me.

"Dad?" Mom questioned, shocked as I was to see him here. "I know it's a surprise, but it's Jon's home opener" Grandpa explained, not even looking at me. Bastard. "You never came to any of my games" Mom muttered, giving me a sad look. "Mom, can I go down to Dad?" I asked Mom, hoping to get away from Grandpa. "Sure sweetie" Mom told me. I started to go down the steps when I heard Grandpa say "Is that Clark?".

I ran next to Dad as Jordan ran out into the field. "Hey Rebel, everything okay?" Dad asked me as I raised the umbrella over us and Jon. "Grandpa" I muttered, gripping the umbrella handle. A small crack took me out of my state, so I quickly handed it to my Dad.

Dad pulled me in close, wrapping an arm around me. "Now entering the game, number 24, Jordan Kent!" The announcer called. I cheered for Jordan as the game commenced, still having no clue what was happening. "He got the ball!" I yelled, jumping up and down. "Jordan, go!" Dad and Jon chanted.

I jumped and yelled, having no clue what was happening until I saw Jordan go past the line. "Touchdown, Crows!" The announcer called, the stands went wild. "Let's go, Jordan!" Me and Jon screamed. I looked back at Mom, seeing her face darken. "Something you wanna tell me?" Grandpa asked in a low voice.

I quickly turned my attention back to my brothers, that is something I can not get involved in this time. "I'm going to be with the boys inside the locker room, wait for me by the truck?" Dad told me, placing a hand on my shoulder. I smiled at him, nodding before giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Keys and some cash for food. I'm starving" I smirked at him.

Dad laughed at my request, handing me the keys to his truck. "Don't even think about joyriding and there's five bucks in the glove compartment" Dad gave in, kissing my head. "Thanks Dad! You're the best!" I called back, running away from him.

I made it to the parking lot, seeing Lilli with an umbrella waiting by the exit. "Lilli? What are you doing here? Thought the after party bus left already?" I asked her, making her jump from my sudden presence.