Chapter 13

Jill's POV

"This is really good." I complemented as I chewed on my food. "How can you make something this fabulous from nothing." Given the fact that the safe house was only stacked with canned and instant foods, she did great.

"I used to hike a lot when I was young so when you're up in the mountains for days, you'll learn quite a few things." Agent Todd replied as she swallow her own food. Agent Carmichael just sat there and quietly enjoyed her food like it was normal. I bet there's something going on between these two.

"That's great hun, you need to eat more since your body needed all the fuel that it can get and after this, I'll be changing your bandages, then you'll be drinking your pain meds and rest." Sam stated and I just nodded. It's true that my body had suffered a lot from the past days. The threat in our lives were still there so I need this downtime to recuperate.

"You're so whipped." Agent Carmichael deadpanned.

"Only by her." We both grinned.

There was a pregnant pause as we all ate as the SWAT members continued to sleep. "How's the captain?" I asked no one in particular.

It was Agent Todd who replied. "He showed signs of improvement since last night. If he's lucky, he might make it."

"Can we drop him to hospital?" I dumbly asked.

"That's against protocol." Agent Todd replied. "Actually, bringing the SWAT with us was also against protocol. Our orders are to secure you both since you both have prices on your head." She explained which confused me.

Why me?

Good thing Sam answered my unspoken question by just looking at my expression. I could never hide something from her. "They want to use you to get me to do anything they want."

"What could they possibly want?"

"They want Sam. Word spread out that she has photographic memory. According to our intel, the black book was either missing or destroyed. You saw the book." Agent Carmichael answered.

"And they want you to re-write it." I completed which both FBI agents confirmed. "And if I'm right, you wanted her to write you a copy too." When both of then didn't react at all, I already got my answer.

"It's the only way."

"You have the USB. Why do you want Sam to re-write it?" It just doesn't make sense. Then the two agent went silent and bowed down. I got my answer from their reaction. "They got it." They both nodded.

"Many of our guys died. They were all good people." Agent Todd replied. "A dozen armed men from three black vehicle attacked the tech lab. They killed everyone that were on their way. They were all wearing body armor and was packing heavy and automatic artillery. Our guys didn't have a chance."

Silence fell over the dining table. Seems like the body count won't be stopping anytime soon. It made me wonder how long my body could take it before I failed to protect Sam.

Sam.

From the very first time I laid my eyes on her, I knew she's the one. We have been through life and death situation before but this time was different. It involved an organized crime that were linked to the authorities. Everything's a mess and the only one I could truly trust was myself.

"It's all my fault." Sam cried as tears started to fell down from her beautiful eyes. "It's all my fault." She started to shake as she said those words. "It's all my fault."

I jumped from my seat and instantly enveloped her in a comforting embrace. "Shhhh... It's not your fault baby... It's not your fault."

"But so many people have died because of me." She was was hurting and I can't even do anything about it. "I probably should just give myself up."