2. The Party

The remaining school days of the week went by surprisingly calmly. The 'Hyunjin incident' had already been forgotten by most students. The new big conversation topic was Johnson's party. Who was Johnson? Johnson was a boy that belonged to the 'rich kids' clique. To be exact, he was part of the 'very rich' category, just like me.

The reason why this party was this discussed wasn't the party itself. Many kids threw parties often, it wasn't a rare occasion. What made this specific party so special was the fact Johnson threw this party to celebrate his dad's second wedding. The woman Mr. Johnson was marrying wasn't rich or popular. She didn't own a business and her ancestors weren't the creators of our town. She was the woman who cleaned the toilets in our school. She was poor.

Future Mrs. Johnson or more commonly know as Ms. Brown had also been married before. Her husband abandoned her and she was forced to raise her only daughter alone. It's no surprise that her daughter was now part of the 'poor kids' clique of our high school.

Mr. Johnson however, insisted that his son and his soon to be daughter in law should get along and bond more. Johnson isn't a big fan of the clique system so it was easy for him to agree with his father when he proposed that he and Clary, Mrs. Brown's daughter, organised a party together.

This is probably the first time something like that has happened and it's easy to tell that the ones supporting the clique system aren't very pleased with the sudden turn of things. That is why the reactions about this celebration were mixed. Some were eager to see where this unison might lead, some were pissed about the disruption of the system and others were too hyped for the party to give a damn.

I was also invited to the party but at first, I didn't feel like going. Eventually, Lizzie's persistence convinced me and here I am now, getting ready for the party with the girls in Rosalind's house.

"Help me out, I'm going crazy over here.", Lizzie shouted and got immediately our attention.

"What now, Lizzie?", Mads asked annoyed and I can't say I blame her given the fact that Lizzie has asked about our opinion on something five times so far.

Five.

Freaking.

Times.

"Should I go with the yellow or light blue dress?", she said while looking actually concerned.

"It's just a dress Lizzie, you'll look good in both of them.", Mads replied simply but I understood the way she tried to hide her compliment by using her stern voice.

"Well, since you decided -more like had us decide, to be exact- to wear the golden jewelry, the yellow is a better option. Blue and gold don't really go together. They both look pretty as dresses though."

"Thank you, Y/N, you are a gem.", Liz was back into her playful and cheerful self.

"Are you wearing the purple dress, Y/N?", Rosalind asked me.

"Nah, I'll go with the caramel brown top and the black skirt instead."

"You'll look amazing! Can I get the purple dress then?", Rosalind half-asked, half-begged.

"Sure, I don't mind."

The time went by pleasantly as we chatted and got ready for the night out. Everyone had the outfits we said we'd wear on. Mads chose a dark pink dress that was more on the conservative side. Nonetheless, she looked gorgeous in it.

———

Rosalind's dad dropped us off at Johnson's place. The weather was chilly as we were waiting outside and I was glad I had brought a jacket along.