13. Christmas

December 18

Ariene stood at the train station, the wind blowing through her curly hair. Tons of kids were getting on the train to go back home to their families for a nice Christmas break. She remembered how she felt when she went back home from Beauxbatons; miserable. The kids getting on the train seemed so overjoyed to see their parents and open loads of presents. It made Ariene feel sick.

"Ariene," James called out. Ariene didn't hear him, recalling all the stressful holidays she had to spend with her 'perfect' sisters and 'perfect' parents and 'perfect' relatives.

"Ariene!" James called, louder. Ariene jumped and looked up.

"Yes?" She sighed.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

"That's why I'm here," Ariene said. James smiled and walked over and pulled her into a hug. Ariene slightly smiled.

"I'm going to miss you," He said. Ariene rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm going to miss you too," Ariene muttered.

"I'm sorry, what was that? I didn't hear you." James said, pulling away.

"I'm going to miss you, you messy-haired twat," Ariene said, reaching up to ruffle his hair. James smirked. Ariene looked to the other three boys. Sirius looked quite anxious which was very strange, considering how different it was from his confident, relaxed, state.

"Sirius, get over here," Ariene called. Sirius looked up and smiled. He walked over and Ariene brought him into a hug.

"You've got to stop wearing those boots, they make me look short," Sirius said into her ear.

"It's not the boots, Sirius." Ariene said. "Take care of yourself, okay?" Sirius nodded.

"Take care of Bowie," He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before backing away. Ariene rolled her eyes.

"Remus, Peter," Sirius called. Remus smiled and went over to them, Peter following. James pulled them all into a group hug.

"Guys, you've got to go," Ariene said. They pulled away and smiled. Ariene saw them get on the train, and she watched as the train sped away, wind brushing past her ears.

***

Ariene crawled through the portrait hole and smiled. She looked through the common room, searching for a certain blond-haired quidditch player.

"Ariene," Marlene called. Ariene turned around. "Ariene,"

"Take off the invisibility cloak. How'd you even get it?" Ariene asked.
"James offered," Marlene said, taking off the cloak and looking at Ariene, a cheeky grin on her face.

"Good one. Come here so I can kiss you." Ariene smiled. They kissed, excited to have this time to themselves.

"You smell like Sirius. Did he get handsy?" Marlene joked. Ariene rolled her eyes and kissed her again.

"I can't believe you chose to spend Christmas with me," Ariene said.

"Better with you than with Danny going on and on about quidditch. As if I'm not on the team,"

"You clearly know how to charm a woman," Ariene said. Marlene moved her hand down Ariene's back and pulled her close.

"Is this better?" Marlene asked, smirking. Ariene grew hot, blood rushing to her cheeks.

"Come on," Ariene said, taking Marlene to her dorm.

***

The next few days were really nice, and it was super romantic to have the entire Gryffindor common room to themselves. Ariene received multiple letters from her family, shocked that she didn't come home for the holidays. She got a few letters from Remus and James, one from Peter, and none from Sirius, which was definitely concerning. Marlene and Ariene went on trips to Hogsmeade, which was beautifully decorated, and they split apart to buy each other gifts, but they always met up at the three broomsticks afterward. They had tea with Professor McGonagall almost every day they weren't at Hogsmeade, and it was very pleasant to hear all of McGonagall's teaching horror stories and the awful things people had transfigured. It was very nice to eat at the fairly empty great hall, and to cuddle up on the common room sofas without a care in the world.