14. Regulus Black

January 4th, 1976

Ariene waited anxiously at the station for her dormmates. She was excited to see them all and give them their presents, but she was worried about Sirius after the events that passed at Christmas. She stood there with Marlene next to her as the Hogwarts Express slowed to a stop in front of them. The doors couldn't have opened slower, and the students exiting the train were clogging it up. Lots of people greeted Ariene as they passed, but she didn't pay them much attention. Finally, four familiar boys came out of the train.

" Merde," Ariene exhaled when she caught sight of Sirius. His hair was long and messy, and he was dressed in tight black skinny jeans, a long white T-Shirt, a leather jacket, big black doc martens, and he had a gold earring in one ear. He had his arm strung around Mary, and he looked very happy, which was surprising to Ariene. She had expected a lifeless version of him, a lot like Ariene when she had to spend time at her parents' house.

"Oi! Ariene!" Sirius called, pointing to her with the hand around Mary.

"Ay!" They called, walking over. Ariene raised her eyebrows.

"Copying my look, are we?" She asked. Sirius laughed and shrugged.

"Gonna get a perm next?" Marlene said. Ariene rolled her eyes, smiling.

"Come on," Sirius said. Ariene sighed and gave him a hug, then James, then Peter, and Remus raised his hands, so Ariene left him alone, thankful. Ariene smiled at Marlene and then walked off with the four boys, leaving her with Mary, who was excited to tell her all about Sirius.

"So when did you get an earring?" Ariene asked Sirius.

"So when did you get a tattoo?" Sirius responded. Ariene rolled her eyes.

"I missed you," She said. Sirius looked at her and smiled that Sirius Black smile.

"I missed you too."

***

"Get over here! I have presents!" Ariene called. The boys walked over to her and sat on their beds, Sirius laying on his casually. Ariene looked toward the record player and flipped the disc.

"Okay, what did you get us?" Peter asked. Ariene reached under her bed.

"For James, for Remus, for Peter and- I'm sorry, did you want something?" Ariene joked before passing Sirius his present. They all unwrapped them.

"Ariene!" James held up the notebook she got him. Ariene found one that had all the possible quidditch formats so he could write the names of his teammates under the brooms and learn new strategies.

"Wow, thank you!" Remus said. She had gotten him a fine cashmere sweater as if he didn't already have 20.

"Ariene, you didn't have to," Peter said when he saw the lovely box of french sweets. Ariene side-eyed Sirius, who was oddly silent as he stared down at the silver jewelry she had carefully picked out for him. Did he like it? Ariene couldn't tell.

***

The start of the second term was quite a strange experience. Ariene definitely didn't think she'd be here this long, so she was a little fazed. She was one of the best in her class, she would occasionally stop by Remus's study group to help out, and she was becoming incredibly popular. Sirius didn't dare talk about what happened at Christmas, so Ariene decided not to mention it. He wore the thick silver rings almost every day, and he used Ariene's eyeliner and had gotten Marlene to give him a number of tattoos. Ariene wished he would talk to her. He was strangely distant, not making eye contact as much, not talking to her as much, and strategically avoiding the times they were alone. Ariene had to find out what the hell was going on, it was driving her mad. One day that week, she had an idea. She passed by a certain Slytherin in the library and decided it was best.