4. Birth of Death

"Anybody there? Please respond! I'm dying in thirst

"Anybody there? Please respond! I'm dying in thirst."

No reply came. An exhausted Govasana sank on the ground. Sun God had already gone down the horizon. Darkness began to pull the surroundings to a tight embrace. The King of Shivi had lost the way. He did not even know which place this was.

Strong smell of corpses came to his nose. Govasana cringed. Was there any crematory closeby? Then it would be even more impossible to find any help here. Especially at this time.

Then what would he do now? He looked around helplessly. A faint light fell on his eyes. Govasana's face lit up. It seemed like fire was burning on a pyre. Would there be anyone around?

He managed to rise to his feet, and stepped ahead, following the light. But as soon as he reached there, the fire wiped off from his vision. But he could still see. An unusual aura surrounded him. Like some divine glow.

The fire had been put off. Black, curly layers of ashes were moving upwards. The strange, heavenly light covered that stream of ashes like a halo around God's head.

Soon, those layers of ashes took the form of a young, beautiful maiden. Her hair open, her eyes beaming with compassion. She came down to Govasana, holding a pitcher in her hand.

"Who are you, Putri?" Govasana forgot to blink.

"I reside here only, Maharaj." The girl smiled. "Heard that you are asking for water. So I came."

Such a beautiful girl lived here, in this crematory? The Lord of Shivi wondered. But out of fatigue he could not think anymore. The girl made him drink the water from her pitcher. Govasana sensed that all his tiredness had been vanished as if by some magic.

"You must have been hungry too." She smiled again, her large eyes shone in light of kindness.

"Come, have some food first and take a little rest." She said and led Govasana to a small hut at a distance from the pyres.

The King of Shivi did not object when he was served with a simple yet tasty meal. The young maiden took care of Govasana with utmost respect, ensuring his comfort.

Just like a daughter would do to her father!

"You go in this way, my king!" The girl pointed to the west. "The path leading to Shivi starts after this cremation ground ends."

"Putri, you have done a huge favour! I would like to give you whatever you wish for! Come with me!"

She smiled again. "As you wish, Maharaj! I shall come to you soon. Then you can give me whatever you want."

A surge of ashes flew. When it had passed, the girl could not be seen anymore.

Who was she? Govasana could not understand anything.

***

Yama loka

"Now it's time, my Lord!" Devi Shyamala mused, smiling at her husband. "I have to go."