8. An Offense Forgiven

Swarga loka

Swarga loka

"Stay away if you want your own good!"

Sachi's enraged voice reverberated from the illuminated golden walls of Indraloka. Her doe eyes had turned crimson, entire golden frame shivering with uncontrollable wrath.

"You cannot be so cruel on me, Devi!" Nahusha stepped closer towards her, making her step back. His breaths, hot with fire of desire, were falling in her body, making her cring in contempt.

"What do I lack? Wealth, status, fortune, victory, - everything! Your husband, that ill-fated Indra, is now deprived of every prosperity and banished from his own abode. What can he give you now?" Nahusha caught Sachi's delicate arm, his lips curving into a lustful smile. "Listen to me, beautiful Goddess! Leave that Sri-less Sakra and become mine! I shall give you all kinds of pleasure that you deserve!"

"Stop it, you wretch!" Sachi screamed, pushing Nahusha's hand away. "This Swarga loka is too pure for such words to be uttered! And whatever condition my husband is in, know that he still possesses enough power to vanquish you just like he has slain demon Vritra!" Pride and confidence dripped from her voice.

"Vanquish me?" Nahusha laughed sarcastically. "Keep dreaming, daughter of Puloma! I, the son of Aayu, has earned this throne of heaven with my own virtues! The Gods and Sapta Rishis themselves chose me to rule heaven in Indra's absence! Your husband is now weak, powerless, hiding under water. He is not even a match for me to duel with, let alone win!"

"Fool you are, son of Aayu!" Sachi snapped. "You were chosen for this sacred throne because you once followed Dharma. But remember, it does not take long for one's punya to get finished! You still have time. Be careful before it's too late!"

"You look even lovelier in this anger, Sachi!" Nahusha smirked. "Why waste this unearthly beauty and youth for a coward like Purandara? Come to my arms! I would never leave you like he did!"

"Nahusha!" Sachi cried. "May that vicious tongue of yours get spilt for uttering this! Listen, you fool! If I have been forever devoted to my Devendra alone with all my existence, may you never get rid of this sin unless his mercy!"

Nahusha laughed out again, making the serenity of Swarga shiver in contempt.

"Devi! Devendrani! What happened?" Deva Guru Brihaspati hurried in, his serene brow having curves of worry as he had heard Sachi scream in anger.

"Gurudeva!" Sachi bowed to Brihaspati.

Blessing her, Brihaspati looked at Nahusha who was visibly reluctant with his sudden arrival. He realized what had happened. He knew it had been a repeatitive thing now.

"Son of Aayu!" Brihaspati gravely said. "Forget not, you have been made a caretaking ruler of Deva loka until Devendra comes back from his penance. Do not dare to misuse the power we all have trusted you with!"