5. A Wish Fulfilled

Satya Yuga, Vaikuntha

"Stop right there!"

The stranger paused in his steps, casting a reluctant glance at the two people who stopped him.

"I need to visit the Lord! Leave my way!"

"Lord is taking rest." Jay said, "No one is allowed to go inside before he wakes up."

"Also, you do not seem to be a sage or even a devotee." Vijay pointed out. "Who are you?"

"I'm son of Mata Diti. She sent me with a message for Lord Vishnu."

"A Daitya, means demon?" Jay observed him from head to toe. "What message Mata Diti has sent?"

"Apologies, Dwarpal! But my message is for Lord Vishnu alone and no one else. Hence, I request you, please let me in!"

"We understand your urgency, Daitya. But we cannot go against the order of our master. You can meet him only after he wakes up." Jay calmly said. "Till then, you have to wait."

"Do not force me to take my weapons, Dwarpal!" The demon warned. "I respect Lord Vishnu's dear servants and don't want to hurt you. Hence, requesting you for one last time. Do leave my way!"

"We are also requesting you for the last time, son of Diti!" Vijay said, "Do not force us to violet our Lord's order! Otherwise we too might have to use force on you!"

"Alright! As you wish!" The demon nodded. "I challenge you two! Stop me if you can!"

Jay fumed, exchanging a quick glance with Vijay. But confident they were, being blessed with the danda that Lord Vishnu himself had given them to protect his abode. The demon too was no less. He used illusions against the gatekeepers of Vaikuntha.

The battle dragged long enough. To their shock, Jay and Vijay could not overcome the demonic Maya of their opponent. A surge of ashes flew in front of their eyes, blocking their vision. They realized it was an illusion, but could not help or counter the demonic power. Soon their exhausted, bleeding frames sank to the sand of Vishnu loka.

"I requested you not to stop me! You did not listen!" The demon jeered. "Now suffer the consequences!"

"Jay, Vijay! Let him come in!"

The ever-compassionate, divine voice swimmed through the sacred air of Vaikuntha. Both the gatekeepers lowered their heads.

"As you wish, Prabhu!" They managed to utter through the pain, joining their hands.

Vishnu smiled a kind smile, sensing their condition. Could he ever forget his children, even if they forget him?

The next moment, his lotus eyes turned to Surya Loka, asking to heal his dear devotees.

***

"Feeling better now?"

Devi Usha's affectionate smile had a magical ability to cure half of the suffering, Jay noted.