4. The Fearless Protectress

Naga kingdom, Gangadwara

"Why, Pita?" The young Princess's voice held all her pain, just like her lotus eyes.

"This is your kingdom. Our kingdom. Why would that senseless Takshaka rule over us? Why do you let him, Pita?"

King Kauravya sighed. "Takshaka doesn't need anyone to let him do anything, Putri! He is too powerful for all of us to resist his wishes. He has made himself the unofficial ruler of all Nagas of Aaryavarta." He shook his head, sighing again. "I have no power to stand against him!"

"What makes him powerful, Pita?" Princess Ulupi narrowed her eyes. "He who is unrighteous at heart, how come he become powerful? Isn't Dharma the real power of all?"

"I don't know, Lupi. I don't understand why God gives more power to them who misuse it. I have no answer to this!"

"God doesn't give more power to the evils, Pita. He simply cannot. It's us, the good ones, who give up to them too soon. If we stand strong in our Dharma, I believe God too will help us!"

"Save us, Maharaj Kauravya!"

A sharp cry shocked them both. A group of Nagas rushed to their King, their eyes betraying fear.

"Takshaka will kill us!" They cried. "His sons are lusting after our daughters and wives. Save us, Maharaj!"

Kauravya rose to his feet. "Takshaka is crossing all the limits now! But..." He hesitated.

"This is not the time of doubting ourselves, Pita." Ulupi stood up. "You are the King. Your people ask for your protection. You have to respond to them."

"I know that, Lupi." Kauravya's voice softened. "But I'm worried for you. Takshaka's sons, Kalasena and Ashwasena, are well-known for their atrocities on women. How can I angry them while I myself have a young daughter at home?"

"Don't say so, Maharaj!" Ulupi's voice was calm yet firm. "I, Rajkumari Ulupi Kauravyi, cannot be your weakness. I shall protect myself and all my people, too!"

She turned to the frightened Nagas.

"Come with me! As long as I'm alive, no one can touch you!" She smiled, assuring them.

"Hail Rajkumari Ulupi!" They cried, and followed her. A surprised Kauravya kept watching. Pride filled his father's heart.

He could see the future Queen of Nagas in his little daughter.

***

"Stay here!" Ulupi pointed at a cave hidden behind bushes. "Do not come out no matter what!"

"And you?" One middle-aged lady could not help asking.

"I will be guarding from outside. Don't worry." The Princess assured.

"But what if they harm you, my Princess?" The woman looked concerned. "You are of my daughter's age. I cannot forgive myself if something bad happens to you."